Launching/retrieving 272 from trailer

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Has / does anyone launch a 272 themselves each season? I have been getting my 272 lifted and having my mast raised by crane.
I have built a ginpole and mast crutch, so I am planning to step / lower my mast myself. But what about launching from a trailer? My trailer has no extension. I have a couple of good public ramps locally, so the ramp is not a problem. I have a Ram 1500 pickup. I have pulled my friend's Oday 26 several times with no strain, so I feel I have the truck to do it. But am I going too far? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andrew

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Andrew, I think that should work fine as long as the wing is free to travel fore and aft without hitting any of the trailer sub-structure. I've not tried it as our crane is free to use although I have to line up help to make sure everything goes okay. Pat

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
You must have some very deep ramps. I have an O240. It has a wing keel and draws a few inches less than your boat. I have launched from what I consider a deep ramp. My trailer has a 10 foot tongue extension and I still have trouble getting it off. It's easier to load it than unload her. Easier to winch it onto the pads rather than pushing it off of them.

Aug 3, 2012
Thank you for your experience. I was thinking an extension would help. I will look into rigging one.

Thanks,
Andrew

May 12, 2014
Oday 272 Groton
I have a 272 that I keep on a trailer. I have owned it for 2 sailing seasons. I launched it season 1 from the trailer. No big deal but our ramp is shallow and I would not have been able to do it without the extension. Even with the extension I have to put the back of the truck farther in the water than I like. You really have to look at the depth of the ramp and the angle but I would think you will need an extension at most ramps.

Season 2 I opted for the travel lift at the club to launch. The big reason was I wanted to paint the bottom of the keel.

Going forward I will probably stick with the travel lift for two reasons. I like to get a coat of bottom paint on the bottom of the keel and it keeps the trailer out of the salt water. It doesn't cost me a ton of money and I figure it goes towards not having to replace trailer bearings.

I have not retrieved the boat with the trailer, although the PO did. It's not impossible, but harder than launching I'm sure. If I had to retrieve at the ramp I would make sure I had two big ratchet straps. Rig them from the trailer to the rear cleats in addition to a bow line to the winch on the trailer (or truck). Keeping a boat that size lined up is the hard part.

Good Luck!

Aug 3, 2012
Hi. Thanks for the info. I am thinking of adding a trailer extension, as I think it will be necessary. I have already been trailering the boat. I have it lifted onto / off of the trailer. I take it home and put it in my shed for the Winter.

Thanks,
Andrew

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello Andrew,
Is your truck 4 wheel drive? The back of a pickup truck may require some extra weight to pull a boat and trailer up a ramp. The tongue extension is probably a necessity. We considered putting our 272 onto a trailer for storage to save some money, but after much thinking we opted for storage at a storage facility with travel lift equipment and trained staff. How far you haul it and getting it into your shed are probably activities you have thought about or accomplished in the past.
Best Wishes.

Aug 3, 2012
Yes. My Ram 1500 is 4x4. I have pulled the boat yearly. The truck pulls the boat fine. I have launched and retrieved my friend's Oday 26 several times with no problem. The 272 is not much heavier. The keel on the 272 complicates matters, but I think a trailer extension will solve the problem.
image.jpeg