Launching Problems? Who needs a Truck? Try THIS!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Actually a trailer dolly, trailer valet, motorized trailer dolly etc is a pretty useful device to maneuver boat or rv trailers around a tight area... At my old sailing club we used the non motorized dolly to get our trailer stored lido 14's from the storage yard to the ramp and into the water. The skipper and crew on the dolly could handle the launch... sometimes needed a 3rd and 4th body to get it out.

but... would be very careful about a heavier boat.... this one pictured is rated to 7500 lbs by not sure how a ramp affects that number.

http://www.saferwholesale.com/category-s/1825.htm?gclid=CO7lx4bjjsgCFU2RfgodwzkIxg

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Joe, I was kind of making the post in jest with regard to the 'massive' nature of the big motorized dolly. I do have the manual trailer dolly you pictured and it is very handy. Neither is a very good solution for launching since I'm sure they would not react well with salt water.

Actually a trailer dolly, trailer valet, motorized trailer dolly etc is a pretty useful device to maneuver boat or rv trailers around a tight area... At my old sailing club we used the non motorized dolly to get our trailer stored lido 14's from the storage yard to the ramp and into the water. The skipper and crew on the dolly could handle the launch... sometimes needed a 3rd and 4th body to get it out.

but... would be very careful about a heavier boat.... this one pictured is rated to 7500 lbs by not sure how a ramp affects that number.

http://www.saferwholesale.com/category-s/1825.htm?gclid=CO7lx4bjjsgCFU2RfgodwzkIxg

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Joe, I was kind of making the post in jest with regard to the 'massive' nature of the big motorized dolly. I do have the manual trailer dolly you pictured and it is very handy. Neither is a very good solution for launching since I'm sure they would not react well with salt water.
I don't think you're supposed to put them in the water, we never did with the manual dolly..... though the trailer got wet sometimes.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
They are for moving boats around the yard not for launching.
Technically yes, but people use them for launching as an alternative to tongue extensions. :)

CloudDriver: For the price I paid for mine, I can't see caring about rust as long as I keep spraying the bearings with oil. The biggest problem with the cheaper ones IMO is the smaller tires and weak axles. I have a feeling it would not do well if the ramp was in bad condition.
If it gets enough use I'll probably weld a custom one up.

OTOH the big one you posted looks perfect ;-)
You could have packing lot races with them when the weather is too bad for sailing. :dance:

Gene: :D

Sep 8, 2014
One of these days I am going to make one out of Stainless Steel;
- specifically designed to use as a push/pull dolly as originally intended, but also act as a '5th wheel' for launching by extension (no extension attached to trailer, more like a tow strap or chain)
- be able to handle salt water, thus the stainless construction and hopefully sealed bearings
- Thick axles, probably 5/8" or 3/4" round bar
- Big tires to handle bad ramps and a hefty tongue weight

break out the TIG torches, FAB challenge!

Technically yes, but people use them for launching as an alternative to tongue extensions. :)

CloudDriver: For the price I paid for mine, I can't see caring about rust as long as I keep spraying the bearings with oil. The biggest problem with the cheaper ones IMO is the smaller tires and weak axles. I have a feeling it would not do well if the ramp was in bad condition.
If it gets enough use I'll probably weld a custom one up.

OTOH the big one you posted looks perfect ;-)
You could have packing lot races with them when the weather is too bad for sailing. :dance:

Gene: :D

Sep 29, 2013
catalina 22 houston
Interesting, but I'd rather use my truck:)

However, at the marina where I launch, they even offer a "valet" service where a guy uses a Kubota tractor to go pick up your boat and launch it at the ramp.
I've never used it, but it's still a nice touch.

Sep 8, 2014
Oh yes, still planning to use the truck and no intention of building one of these electric monsters... just thinking of alternative solutions for the shallow ramp launching problem since I have no tongue extension on my trailer.

Current plan is just to use my 20 foot tow straps, I'd just like to support the tongue on something more substantial than the tongue jack wheels which don't like rough surfaces much anyway.

Interesting, but I'd rather use my truck:)

However, at the marina where I launch, they even offer a "valet" service where a guy uses a Kubota tractor to go pick up your boat and launch it at the ramp.
I've never used it, but it's still a nice touch.

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
Ah, yes, valet service, covered indoor storage tall enough to raise the mast, 2400 watts of high pressure sodium lighting, water and electricity at your fingertips, more than ample workspace. The only thing missing is heat in the winter but I guess you can see why not.

Life is good on the prairie :D

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
Since I like you so much, Gene, you can bring your boat over to my place to work on it anytime.

Mar 25, 2015
catalina 22 Fort Walton
Ah, yes, valet service, covered indoor storage tall enough to raise the mast, 2400 watts of high pressure sodium lighting, water and electricity at your fingertips, more than ample workspace. The only thing missing is heat in the winter but I guess you can see why not.

Life is good on the prairie :D
I also hate you Stingy!
A whole barn! My garage doesn't even fit my boat.