Launching Oday 25 C/B 3.9 draft without a tongue extension.

Jun 28, 2014
Oday 25 Arkansas
I have an Oday (new to me) 25 centerboard/shoal draft. The previous owner closed off the centerboard. It's come with an excellent double axle trailer with full rollers.
The tow vehicle is a 2011 F150 4WD Eco-boost rated for 11,300 pounds so no difficulties there.
Most ramps could be pretty shallow into the water. I have heavy-duty chains if I need to give it a little bit of extension, just loaded off but no trailer extension bar. Do I need one and if so could somebody post pictures of theirs, both ends?
Any other suggestions about first launch would be welcome!
I think I'll have enough trouble getting the mast raised for the first time. I'll might chicken out and use a yacht club hoist that one. If anything falls it'll have at least a 50% chance of hitting H2O.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Re: Launching Oday 25 C/B 3.9 draft without a tongue extensi

They sealed off the centerboard??? Why oh why did they do that?? /facepalm

As for ramp launching, how deep is the water as you should float it off the trailer. If you don't have a mast raising system, you are NOT going to muscle it up... use the club crane....

Make sure you have everything you need.... tools are very helpful. Check your rigging....

Jun 28, 2014
Oday 25 Arkansas

I don't know why they sealed the centerboard. (Auction purchase) It doesn't sound like problems should be so bad as to need that, and no sign of damage. The lift line and cable are still connected. The keel looks like any shoal draft keel now! Definitely limits it to the mini cruiser department.
Water will be deep enough at the Yacht club ramp, so no immediate issues. They can launch a 6' draft their with a hydraulic trailer.
I do have the stock mast raising system, U-tube videos, extra come along. Will probably use the stock system to take it down later, at least.

Oct 19, 2009
oday 22 Lake New Melones

I have an extension on the trailer for my 22 which draws two feet and haven't used it, but, I have to back the truck in till the water is almost to the axle.

Using a chain to extend would be a PITA. A welding or trailer repair shop should be able to set an extension up reasonably.

Search this site and you tube for mast raising system videos. My wife and I raise our mast easily. I can even do it solo. I think a block and tackle or a gin pole might be needed for a 25.

You shouldn't have any problem without the centerboard. The ballast is in the stub keel. The board was added to help upwind performance.

Have fun ! :D

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA

I had an extension made for my truck towing reciever. Just 2" x 2" x 1/4" box stock running out about 6' or so with appropriate ball on end. Done deal! Chief

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ

I agree that that not having use of the CB is not that big of a deal. I've got into the habit of only putting mine down when I really need to point tight into the wind to get somewhere. Most of the time I don't bother with it.

Enjoy your 25!

Jun 28, 2014
Oday 25 Arkansas

Thanks for your thoughts, Chief and Ward. That extension from the receiver sounds like a different way to skin a cat. With my backing prowess, I might have to weld on a new receiver after a couple of jack knifes. I'll start with the deeper water. It must take skill to use a tongue extension. Still, if anyone has pics of the ends of their...
well you know. It might come in handy. Happy sailing!

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Slim, I built a short extension for my little 192 trailer. I did not find it difficult to back down, in fact, it was as easy as without the extension. I saw where a guy had put the extension on the receiver of the truck. I should think that would be the more difficult setup to back down, but apparently it wasn't a problem for him.

Folks at our club routinely use 25' extensions for fin keel boats. Back it down to the water, chock wheels, pull out extension from trailer, then run it straight back the ramp. Pull trailer out, chock, reverse the extension back into the trailer, then pull off the ramp.

Thanks for your thoughts, Chief and Ward. That extension from the receiver sounds like a different way to skin a cat. With my backing prowess, I might have to weld on a new receiver after a couple of jack knifes. I'll start with the deeper water. It must take skill to use a tongue extension. Still, if anyone has pics of the ends of their...
well you know. It might come in handy. Happy sailing!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida

A boat without a centerboard will have a drift to leeward most noticeable when pointing close to the wind but present nevertheless. It may seem unnoticeable at times but will affect "speed to destination" as the boat will travel more distance that otherwise required.

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine

Slim,

At 2'-9 draft, my boat is launchable almost any place, but sometimes we still have to bury the rear tires and often I have to put my back into it to get her off the rollers. If you're going to launch often, I would suggest a tongue extension; worth every penny I'd bet. If you'll launch once a season, consider doing it with a tow strap. Some good videos on that if you look around. Either way, use the gin pole and save your crane money. Many videos on that as well. We step the mast of our Lancer 25 every time we sail. It takes about 10 minutes once you get good at it.

Don

Aug 25, 2010
ODay 25 Leesburg, Al

The 4-1 block and tackle makes it easy some have a lock (tractor supply), you either need a gin pole or an a-frame to keep the mast stable from side to side and act as the fulcrum point. I always did mine alone. You will need a stern mast support higher than the cabin height to keep from damaging it when lowereing the mast. My mast support fit where the rudder attached but it also made trailoring it very easy.Make sure shrouds are loose and make sure you check them when raising the mast it is very easy to bend a turn buckle. I bent one the first time. With practice you can put it up in 45 minutes. I would also consider an extension pole of 9- 10 feet it keeps the truck further away from the water. Some ramps are very shallow but long and the extension really helps. Consider putting guide poles on the trailer that will be higher than the water it makes getting the boat back on much easier. I miss the Oday 25 shallow boat it was my learning boat.

Steve

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach

The O'day 25's mast is going to be heavy. That is going to be a job to get it down. Definitely get plenty of helping hands for that job.

There are a lot of videos on youtube of stepping and unstepping masts. Seaward has a pretty cool system that they use for their boats. I believe that Hunter also had a good system for the H260 line. Take a look at those videos.

I use to step the mast on my Hunter 22 frequently. I could do it myself but I did muscle it up. As you get older you learn to work smarter and not harder. There has to be a better way than this and a lot of people have come up with great ideas that are cheap!

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
How deep can you back your truck into the water?

Lay down under your rear bumper and look at the axle from the rear. Look at the top of the pumpkin and the axle extending out about a foot from the pumpkin, my fords were on the drivers side. You’re looking for a rubber hose extending up from this area and going straight up to the underside of the truck bed, attached near the bed and turns back down towards the axle. This is the breather for the rear axle and rear end gearing. If you have this type of breather on the rear axle then you can back your truck into the water just deep enough so that water will not run down this breather hose, this would place water almost to the center of the wheel wells in the truck bed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXqzJJtKW7A

Attachments

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA

I have no more problem backing down with the 7' receiver hitch than just regular hitch. Just go nice and slow with trailer wheel just skimming the ground. Lots easier than making one up for the trailer, plus if it rusts, who cares! Chief

Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
First do you have a picture of the boat? I rebuilt one years ago and it eneded up in Arkansas. No I did not seal the center board.

I lancuhed by backing down and hitting the brakes the boat would slide off. Can't go to far as you may slide the truck in the water.

If I remember correctly I either raised the mast by myself or with the help of a friend, I did do it while the boat was on the trailer but it was a non event. This was the days before internet and youtube, you just did it.

I really liked the O'Day.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Chief, that's good to know. If my trailer extension ever rusts out, maybe I'll just try a long receiver extension.

Here are some pics of the extension I designed and my friend built for me. It doesn't slide, and removes completely. He's going to make a bracket to hold it onto the trailer so I don't have to strap it on with nylon cam buckle straps.

Brian

I have no more problem backing down with the 7' receiver hitch than just regular hitch. Just go nice and slow with trailer wheel just skimming the ground. Lots easier than making one up for the trailer, plus if it rusts, who cares! Chief

Attachments

Jul 19, 2009
Vandestadt & McGruer Sirius 21 #190 Dayton Ohio
Try four people stepping the mast before you invest in a mast raising system. If it is not a busy ramp then you could use your chain. You might need a larger diameter wheel under the tongue as most tongue jack wheels are not large enough to roll over obstacles on a ramp and may put a lot of stress on the jack even if cranked all the way down. If the ramp is somewhat busy then a tongue extension might be required because you are able to rig it up in the parking lot before you pull around to the ramp. A chain, rope, or strap will require getting on the ramp, lining it up, chocking the wheels, rigging the larger wheel, hooking up chain, unhitching, taking up slack, removing the chocks, then backing in. I saw a couple do this at the Tobermory ramp launching a Catalina 25 wing keel. At Tobormory the ramp is not that busy launching boats but it is the epicenter of the town so you get a lot of gawkers. One of my favorite towns ever.

Jun 28, 2014
Oday 25 Arkansas
How deep can you back your truck into the water?

Lay down under your rear bumper and look at the axle from the rear. Look at the top of the pumpkin and the axle extending out about a foot from the pumpkin, my fords were on the drivers side. You’re looking for a rubber hose extending up from this area and going straight up to the underside of the truck bed, attached near the bed and turns back down towards the axle. This is the breather for the rear axle and rear end gearing. If you have this type of breather on the rear axle then you can back your truck into the water just deep enough so that water will not run down this breather hose, this would place water almost to the center of the wheel wells in the truck bed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXqzJJtKW7A
That axle video was cool to look at. Maybe that explains why my friend with two Suzuki "Submurai's" -snorkels for intake air and exhaust head up to the roof!- has become a expert and changing out rear axles! I'll ask him to look at my F150 with me. Mud bog season is about over so I think he's been on the lake with a Hobiecat. He can make about anything, so an extension will be no problem. Thanks!

Jun 28, 2014
Oday 25 Arkansas
I see your point.

Yeah, I guess the 2" square tubing of steel, bored for a hitch ball and reinforced at the ends, would be about the simplest way to go. For a shallow Florida ramp and a for a 8+ foot extension, then it needs to articulate on both ends though, I think, to reduce stress at the receiver. There is over 200 lbs on my trailer tongue wheel, judging by how I bounce the bow slightly if I climb up the stern ladder. So skimming to tongue wheel does not sound likely with this one, unless the boat rebalanced when loaded differently for a trip. That tongue weight seems ok to me. Thanks.