Launched the Boat Last Weekend

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
My home port is Lake Patoka in Indiana. We have a somewhat early spring here this year and I wanted to get the boat in the water asap. So we stepped the mast last sunday and put her in, uneventfully. It was very strange tho. Only three fishing boat trailers in the lot. A nice sunday would normally have several dozen trailers and everyone jockeying for space on the ramp. The 15 min trip from the ramp to the marina slip didnt show a single boat on the water. Very strange. But suits me fine during the "self isolation" we are all going through.

My winter storage was the worst Ive experienced, and was partly my fault. I put her away quickly last fall and did not completely empty the contents of the boat. In fact, I didnt empty it at all. I checked on it in December, looked ok. Came back in March and it was a black mold disaster! I mean bad, with lots of water on the inside. It was stored outside and covered. But the winter temps here were perfect for condensation. Cold near freezing nights and warmish days. Is there any way to prevent this, short of a dehumidifier or indoor storage? It took me about 10 hours of wiping down every inch of the inside with mold zapper, towels for soaking up water, and wiping everything down. And I mean everything. Going back after work sometime this week to clean the outside. Not moldy, just storage dirt.

Im looking forward to solace on the water and getting out of the house.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
i put several tubs of damprid in the boat over the winter.. the large tubs. it seems to do the trick for me.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
I did some google searching on the fans. It seems they dont have a good reputation for moving much air or lasting very long.

Any feedback from solar fan vent users?

MrEd

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 240 Louisville, KY/ Patoka Lake,IN
Hi. I noticed her in the slip last week. No advice, but since I’m only 2 slips away, let me know if you need a hand. I launched in mid-March and have been out a day or two every week. I’ve lucked out on some gold sailing so far. Ah, the charms of Southern Indiana! -Ed

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I use two large tubs of DampRid and 8-12 dollar tree dehumidifiers over the winter. No issues. Boat was stored near fox lake IL area