Lateral Keel Deflection

May 13, 2021
Hunter 332 Chesapeake
As part of survey to purchase 2004 Hunter 33-2, able to push firmly on side of 4'-6" shoal keel with foot when boat on slings and moves ~+/-2". No cracks anywhere on external keel surface or hull joint which appears solid. Hull absorbs movement. There is crack in one bilge section (pic attached) but did not observe that concurrently so don't know if it was flexing there. Anybody know if this amount of deflection is "typical" or excessive? Unable to find any "specs". Anyone else witness this?
port bilge crack.png

• Wow

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
That amount of movement is concerning. If it's moving 2" with just your foot applying pressure, it is sure to move more when the boat is heeled. I would move on to looking at other boats.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
My Mark 25 was worse. But I spent a couple of boat bucks fixing it. Yard guys said I wasted the money since mine was better than many others.

May 20, 2020
Hunter 30 Nelson BC
Run Away
Imagine yourself on a beam reach in 20 knots as the inflection grows from 2” to “the seabed”, and run faster!

(Or if, this being the irrational act of boat acquisition, you just have to have this particular boat, get a really good price that more than (5x?) accommodates the hassle, risk and cost of a professional repair that you oversee?)

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Anybody know if this amount of deflection is "typical" or excessive? Unable to find any "specs". Anyone else witness this?
2 inches ???? I don't think it should "deflect" AT ALL, not a single micron. Didn't the surveyor's eyes bulge when he saw that ?