Last 'race' of the season for Blue J

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Every fall the WYC season ends with an unofficial race series... a weekly Sunday run down to a bar at the far side of the lake for a beer. You goota have a beer there or you're DNF. Called the Shackleton Cup, Blue J is uniquely equipped to dominate. And we do. Last week there were other boats out sailing, but we were the only boat that made the 14nm round trip. 40F and light South breeze. A close reach there, but a spin run all the way back. We mixed good sailing and good company with good music and questionable beer. Not super interested in max VMG, we optimize boat/wind angles for max speed, doing 5.6 knots in 7 knots of breeze. @cb32863 trims while Jodi's bestie handles main.

run home shack.jpg

Why does Jodi like to stand in the companionway? The heat is on downstairs!

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Yes, the beer was a bit questionable. ;) That aside, it was a great time on the lake, had the place to ourselves except for a few guys out fishing for Muskies. Season's end yes, but, hopefully we are back at it in mid-April.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Have a nice winter Jackdaw. Texas sailing again for you this year ? After a cruise around Chaleurs Bays Sacripant is back home on the hard & covered with all systems winterized. A fabulous summer with more than 1800 nm of navigation. In a few weeks it will be time to reach our winter quarters and resume sailing with friends in Florida.

Attachments

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
It sounds like you guys have a great racing program. Is the actual drinking of the beer part of the race? Are beer bongs legal? Is there a PHRF bump for Coors Light? I have many questions.

Nov 8, 2010
Have a nice winter Jackdaw. Texas sailing again for you this year ? After a cruise around Chaleurs Bays Sacripant is back home on the hard & covered with all systems winterized. A fabulous summer with more than 1800 nm of navigation. In a few weeks it will be time to reach our winter quarters and resume sailing with friends in Florida.
Hey Claude! Yes in Texas a lot this year. Starting next weekend for the Wurstfest Regatta, which is why we're pulling this week. And then back down for the LCYC Winter series every month. I WAS scheduled to crew on a boat in the SORC series in the Florida/Bahamas, but the storm, flotsam, and sponsorship downturn put the kabosh on that! The SORC gig was a fully comp'ed ride, so I'm bummed about that!. ;^(

Nov 8, 2010
It sounds like you guys have a great racing program. Is the actual drinking of the beer part of the race? Are beer bongs legal? Is there a PHRF bump for Coors Light? I have many questions.
The SIs are intentionally a bit hazy. You HAVE to dock. But getting there and not having a beer seems very un-sailorly, and probably exposes you to a RRS 69 violation.

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
Looks like a ton of fun, JD, thanks for sharing!

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I'd be good for a few beers at the destination, inside where it's warm. I'm not a fan of drinking cold beer with gloves on! :waycool:

At least downwind, the closer you match boat speed with wind speed, the less the wind chill!

Nov 8, 2010
I'd be good for a few beers at the destination, inside where it's warm. I'm not a fan of drinking cold beer with gloves on! :waycool:

At least downwind, the closer you match boat speed with wind speed, the less the wind chill!
I agree its an acquired taste. First part is being able to pull the tab with neoprene gloves on! ;^)

Yes with the wind behind you its calmer because the apparent drops way off. But on lighter days you really suffer for that. In the pic the true wind angle was about 130, but the apparent was about 70. That keeps a fair about of apparent across the deck, and most importably in the sails!

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Hey Claude! Yes in Texas a lot this year. Starting next weekend for the Wurstfest Regatta, which is why we're pulling this week. And then back down for the LCYC Winter series every month. I WAS scheduled to crew on a boat in the SORC series in the Florida/Bahamas, but the storm, flotsam, and sponsorship downturn put the kabosh on that! The SORC gig was a fully comp'ed ride, so I'm bummed about that!. ;^(
I can't help but feel sorry about that lost ride on the SORC Florida/Bahamas race. I crewed for ten years on a friend's boat in the SORC Fort Lauderdale/Key West Race and I miss the adrenaline, the action and most of all the camaraderie of the entire event as I also crewed on the delivery of the boat to Fort Lauderdale and back from Key West. My friend sold his 37' boat. After 3 years he now has bought a 30' which he intended to enter in the race. Being the good friend that I am I had to make him realize that his health situation is such that if any life threatening situation ever developped while offshore he could not take care of himself and thus became a liability for the rest of us crewing. Fortunately he is an intelligent person and has forfeited the idea of entiring. I am sad but on the other hand relieved that he understood. So we'll do the club racing in the Melbourne area of the Indian River, with the occasional short ocean ride from Port Canaveral or Fort Pierce. Have a nice winter.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
I can't help but feel sorry about that lost ride on the SORC Florida/Bahamas race. I crewed for then years on a friend's boat in the SORC Fort Lauderdale/Key West Race and I miss the adrenaline, the action and most of all the camaraderie of the entire event as I also crewed on the delivery of the boat to fort Lauderdale and back from Key West. My friend sold his 37' boat. After 3 years he now has bought a 30' which he intended to enter in the race. Being the good friend that I am I had to make him realize that his health situation is such that if any life threatening situation ever developped while offshore he could not take care of himself and thus became a liability for the rest of us crewing. Fortunately he is an intelligent person and has forfeited the idea of entiring. I am sad but on the other hand relieved that he understood. So we'll do the club racing in the Melbourne area of the Indian River, with the occasional short ocean ride from Port Canaveral or Fort Pierce. Have a nice winter.
That was probably the smart call. It's not place to fool around!

Yea I'm bummed about the SORC. The Nassau Cup is next weekend, so now the pain becomes real! But the boat (Schock 40 canting keel) had to be shipped from Texas, and managing a remote boat over a 4-race 5-month series is a serious business. So I get it. But still!