Last follow up on "Pulling my hair out"

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Ralph J. Pellizzi Sr.
Author

Just finished the job with Gorilla waterproof, permanent, heat resistant rubberized tape, Used 2 layers and triple clamped it covering the cracks as well. My CO2 detector stayed quiet during the 1 hour check run of the engine. It will easily last at least until I do the muffler change when I get it in October.
Incidentally, I am still unable to find the length of the exhaust hose for my '97 MKIII.
Thanks to all and Happy Sailing...

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
If your 97 Catalina MKIII has the same engine configuration as 1980 circa Catalina 30's Contents (catalina30.com) the exhaust hose length is 22 ft. That should get you in the ball park but as Stu Jackson and the owner's group recomended, measure it.
Thanks Stu. But, my ‘97 rises far less as high as the 80’s boats and terminates much closer to the engine, under the “sugar scoop” stern platform about 2’ from the stern. Info I’m getting from other Cat30 owners indicates 16’ minimum to 17’ avg. it’s suggested to buy 18’ and cut to fit.
So far the Gorilla water and heat proof tape patch is working beautifully.
Thank you for the input.
Happy sailing,
Ralph

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Gorilla water and heat proof tape patch is working
Patch is the operative word in that statement. It can be a little disheartening when you ask a serious question and get the reply “measure it”. I hear that and think ‘damn I have not a clue’. He wants me to measure mine. Maybe I should, but why?

The carpenter creed goes something like…“Measure twice cut once”.

Many times have I cut only to find I’ve cut a smidge too tight. Why I measure and add 5-10% to rope and hose length.

If you need a few short hose lengths let me know. I think there is a box in the storage shed awaiting for a rainy day that a short bit is needed.