Largest Trailerable Sailboats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 1, 2012
Catalina C22 Georgetown
How about the Hobie 33? A guy at my local lake selling a 1983 model with a trailer. He says it has a retractable keel, 8' beam, and is more of a race boat, but still a race/cruiser with ports potty and berths.

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
Slow Mo^cean said:
How about the Hobie 33? A guy at my local lake selling a 1983 model with a trailer. He says it has a retractable keel, 8' beam, and is more of a race boat, but still a race/cruiser with ports potty and berths.
Those are pretty nice. One thing I like about that design is the inboard, outboard engine.

Jul 1, 2012
Catalina C22 Georgetown
I'm seriously considering one... My only gripe would be that skinny beam. A lot of reviews on it say it can get cramped with a full racing crew. I'd like to buy one, cruise it for a year then try a distance race like Newport to Cabo or even a TransPac.

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
Slow Mo^cean said:
I'm seriously considering one... My only gripe would be that skinny beam. A lot of reviews on it say it can get cramped with a full racing crew. I'd like to buy one, cruise it for a year then try a distance race like Newport to Cabo or even a TransPac.
The headroom below looks pretty low. If you can get one reasonable, looks like a sweet boat design. I did not peruse that sailboat because it was one foot too long for my slip. At least it was. Now someone with clout has purchased a Hunter 33. Not what you know, but who you know. Lol. Now the new limit is 33 I guess. Get a picture or two and post it here.

Also, welcome to the forum!

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
MrBill_FLL said:
I look at setup time.

if it takes you more than 2 hours to launch its 'transportable'
I like your additional term to describe the ground movement of a larger sailboat. Very intelligent addition to this decision.

How about this:

Trailerable: 8.5' beam or less. Has own trailer, on and off trailer with one or two people in an hour or so for launch and then again for recovery, including mast stepping. Trailer anywhere without permits with normal vehicle. Should not inspire fits of dock rage, divorce, or such. In other words, easy to trailer. On a trailer scale from one to three, it is a one. Within this Trailerable definition, there would be several sub categories. Trailering a Sun Fish would not be the same job as trailering a Mac 26.

Transportable: 10' beam max. May or may not have own very large trailer, on and off trailer with a small crew or marina lift, may take two hours or a little more each direction. Mast may need set in place with boom, dangerous to step by hand. Oversized load fees that may go unnoticed by scale people as it is just barely oversized in beam only. May be hauled by full sized pickup or small truck. Trailer scale Two.

Shippable: Needs recovered, launched by qualified experienced boat moving professionals with a semi and specialized flat bed trailer. Mast must be set by boom. Will require permits on every road traveled often times with chaise marker vehicle(s). Trailer scale Three.

If you think in terms of launch and recovery, it is most likely trailerable

If you think of terms of recovery and launch, it may be a larger sailboat that is usually in the water, and you may be sliding into a transportable sailboat.

If you think in terms of OMG how are we going to move that out of the water, priceless.

In this set of definitions, I place my Clipper Marine 32 in the trailerable category. I do so with reservations. My sailboat looks zip code esk on a trailer. Just the mental hurdle of convincing oneself it is trailerable is a chore looking at it on the hard on a six wheel trailer. On a trailer, it is about 7,500 pounds with a full compliment of gear and "stuff". That is a heavy load. I have large trucks, so the weight is transparent Launching and recovery is little more work than my Mac 25 was, except with two masts. The inboard diesel is easier to deal with than the outboard I wrestled with on the Mac as I moved it inside the cabin for additional trailer weight and to deter thieves.

I would not say to a buddy with a vehicle, go to my back yard and grab my sailboat, and I will meet you at the lake. In that regard, my sailboat is transportable. Then again, would I say those words to a friend with a Mac, or Hunter 23? Knowing your own equipment, and having a routine makes it possible to think in terms of something being easier than it really is.

Photo below is me hauling my CM 32 across two states. The semi (toter home) was only needed so I had a place to sleep on a long drive. I most times pull it with my PU.

Attachments

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Hake Yachts out of Florida sells a 32 foot retractable keel & rudder boat that is supposed to be trailerable. Not sure about the width of the beam & whether it is street legal or not. An 8.5 foot beam would be pretty skinny on a 32 foot length overall hull. I haven't read any reviews on their performance, but I know that they can be beached just like a C 22.

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
jrowan said:
Hake Yachts out of Florida sells a 32 foot retractable keel & rudder boat that is supposed to be trailerable. Not sure about the width of the beam & whether it is street legal or not. An 8.5 foot beam would be pretty skinny on a 32 foot length overall hull. I haven't read any reviews on their performance, but I know that they can be beached just like a C 22.
Those start at about 150 grand before trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.