Largest Trailerable Sailboats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
Know of Harstad 31, the couple of versions of Clipper Marine 32's & Hobbe 33, but what other big fish are out there in the Trailerable sailboat world? I own both versions of CM32's and really enjoy their value and contribution to the sailing community, but I often times wonder what lurks out there in the marinas across the globe.

I know there are several folding multi hulls that are fascinating.

Here is my pair of Clipper Marine 32's side by side on trailers. One going in and one just out of the water. They share slip time. I imported both to Nebraska from FAQ away waters. One the Great Lakes, the other LA.

CM32's were once the largest trailer sailboats to be able to go down any public road without special permits because of their 8' beam. Their relative light weight made it possible for the family car to pull them around.

Tell us a brief history of a boat you know about or own.

Attachments

Jun 16, 2010
In search of my next boat Palm Harbor, FL
I have seen a Tartan T10 on trailers, thats about 30 feet.

Dec 10, 2010
Hunter H26 South Haven, MI
Large trailerable boats

While not really a sailboat, the Nimble Wanderer is 31' and road legal width in most all states. They made it in motor-sailer and power only version.

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
Not (yet) available in North America, but here is Nautiner 30S..., under 10ft beam, so road legal with an inexpensive permit (at least in Canada).

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I think the definition of a trailer sailor is one that can be launched off the transport trailer, and I would add, by the vehicle that tows her and can be rigged by the operator without heavy equipment.
Any boat under legal limit on lenght (overall with tow vehicle is 65 ft) can be moved by trailer but that does not make all of these boats trailer sailors.

Aug 31, 2007
Catalina 30 Petoskey, Mich.
I only trailer it 9 miles to the marina and back spring and fall, but it works for my 85 C30TR. No brakes, lights or anything but we take the back way to the marina.

Attachments

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
merlinuxo said:
I think the definition of a trailer sailor is one that can be launched off the transport trailer, and I would add, by the vehicle that tows her and can be rigged by the operator without heavy equipment.
Any boat under legal limit on lenght (overall with tow vehicle is 65 ft) can be moved by trailer but that does not make all of these boats trailer sailors.
We tow, launch, recover with my pick up. We step the two masts by hand (we are 55) while in the water in her slip. Easier and safer than on a trailer way up in the air. For long trips, we use our toter home so we have somewhere to sleep.

If we did not slip this sailboat, we would still be comfortable working from a trailer each time we use her. However, when we sailed a Mac 25 we also slipped that sailboat. Just so much more convenient to enjoy the sailboat.

Attachments

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Some obviously have different ideas of what constitutes "Trailerable". To me it would require max 8.5 foot beam (legal width), requiring zero permits to haul, and be light enough you need a dually to pull it.

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
I launch my 26'er off the trailer with the same half ton pickup that brought it half way cross country (home) and half way cross state (marina) road ready lights, brakes etc...

With a keel stepped mast, I "could" DIY an A frame, or use a "winch/boom" if one were available at my marina, but for a $100 find it much easier to have the marina use their crane to "stick it in the hole" for me and then I rig from there.. same day service I'm in the water within hours..

$30-$40 rent a slip for the weekend..

Then pull her out (mast up) for when I'm not there...no breaking loose, sinking, starting on fire, getting hit by neighbors, whatever on the slip...

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I look at setup time.

if it takes you more than 2 hours to launch its 'transportable'

May 25, 2004
Hunter 260 Pepin, WI
Since Sail123 is not looking for recommendations, but stories, do we really need to define "trailer boat" again?

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
I leave the mast up on the trailer at the marina and launch within 20 minutes...

If I'm going to the same lake over and over anyway, might as well leave it there...

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I leave the mast up on the trailer at the marina and launch within 20 minutes...

If I'm going to the same lake over and over anyway, might as well leave it there...
Makes sense and sounds like a good option where mast up storage is available.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
We tow, launch, recover with my pick up. We step the two masts by hand (we are 55) while in the water in her slip. Easier and safer than on a trailer way up in the air. For long trips, we use our toter home so we have somewhere to sleep.

If we did not slip this sailboat, we would still be comfortable working from a trailer each time we use her. However, when we sailed a Mac 25 we also slipped that sailboat. Just so much more convenient to enjoy the sailboat.
Whatever floats your boat(s) Gary!

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
anchorclanker said:
Whats available in a blue water, legally trailerable, around 30 feet??
To call a sailboat Blue Water and yet have a narrow beam of 8.5' or 8' for all roads, bridges, tunnels would be a very short list. I doubt a serious contender for that list exists as most people think of what Blue Water means. Blue Water as in serious storms does not fit the category of narrow beam and lightweight construction. While my 32 aft cabin and 32 aft cockpit can be used to head out to sea (both have) I personally think they are ideally set up for coastal pleasure trips or small lake use like I am doing.

Serious money can purchase a folding tri hull sailboat that trailers down to 8.5' and doubles that beam in the water while sailing. I do not know the storm rating of these type of sailboats but I would love to sail on one. They look pretty sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.