Largest size tire/rim that fits Hunter 23 Trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Anyone upsized their rims and tires on a stock H23 trailer?
What a great idea! In addition to the big, tricked-out rims, add a second axle along with some undercarriage lights. You can even put in a pneumatic system so it can bounce up and down at stoplights. Loud speakers would add a certain flair as well.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. No, I have no real suggestions. Well, other than what I just said. Dang, wouldn't that be great?

Attachments

MrUnix

Mar 24, 2010
Hunter 23 Gainesville, FL
Anyone upsized their rims and tires on a stock H23 trailer?
Haven't done it, but I have thought about downsizing the tires to get the boat a bit lower to the ground. Why would you want to go larger? :confused:

Cheers,
Brad

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
MrUnix said:
Haven't done it, but I have thought about downsizing the tires to get the boat a bit lower to the ground. Why would you want to go larger? :confused:

Cheers,
Brad
I was mostly wanting to use higher weight capacity tires (for a safety margin) if it was feasible by going to 15" instead of my stock 14" rims. Or maybe there are higher grade tires I should consider?

Love the cool rim pics but was thinking more function than flair. I also didn't think about launch height issues with bigger tires, a very valid concern.

What size/rating tires do most of you use on your Hunter 23? I noticed mine are a mismatched set, one a 185/75-14 and the other a 195/75-14, neither are correct I fear. Just bought the boat a few weeks ago and I need to get new tires for sure!

Dec 11, 2009
Oday 26 Central FL
You don't need to go up in rim size to get a higher load tire. Trailer tires are rated by a lettering system and the amount of plys. You can buy a 10 inch "E", 10 ply rated at 1650 lbs each. If you have one axle you would add the 2 tires together to give you your max load. In this case, 3300 lbs. Keep in mind, that max load stated on the tire is based on the correct psi. If your tires are under inflated the load range goes down. Always check the tire pressure before traveling.

The main effect the rim size will have on your trailer is on the bearings. The smaller the rims, the more revolutions, the more heat and wear on the bearings.

Most people like the smallest tires without sacrificing the bearings for easier launchings.

Another aid in launching would be to keep the axle above the springs if it isn't already.

Here's some tire info: http://www.easternmarine.com/12-and-13-Trailer-Tire-Rim/

Hope this helps,

John

RLW

Jul 25, 2010
Hunter 23 Middleburg, Florida
My trailer had 205-75R-15 tires on it when I got it. They were load range C tires with a 1870 lb. capacity and had a diameter of 27". I changed the tires to a ST225/75R15 (Goodyear Marathon) with a load range D that have a 2540 lb. and a diameter of 28.3". A smaller tire with a lesser capacity like a 205/75R14 with a load range C (1760) will only lower your boat about 1" compared to the 225/75R15.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Great ideas and points, I have cruised the forums and read more about tires in the past few days. I've bought a lot of car and truck tires but very few trailer tires so, I'm trying to get educated before I drag the boat very far.

I've surmissed, you get what you pay for when it comes to tires.

I'll check the axle/spring set up to see if the axle is above or below...very good idea.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Thanks, think I'm going to put a new set of ST205-75-15 tires rims, seem to be a readily available size and are rated adequate.

Dougo

Nov 22, 2010
Hunter 23 Great Sacandaga Lake, NY
I just replaced mine with ST 215-75-14 Marathons. I have an '89 H23, and I'm pretty certain the old ones were original (the previous owner never drove it very far). That's what was on it, and they seem to handle the load fine.

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
I added a second axle to my trailer, additionally I underslung the springs, this got me about 4" closer to the ground.

I use 205/75/R15 tires. This trailer is scary with a single axle on the highway!! I tow at 75 with my 5spd 5.0 F150 now and not a worry at all.

I think the conversion cost me about $4-500, plus two more tire/wheels. I don't regret it at all.

Also, tounge weight. The boat weighs over 3k with the trailer. Does your tounge weigh 300 lbs? Because mine (when i got the boat) was nowhere near, that helped a LOT as well. (There are 4 u-bolts you can loosen, jack the trailer up onto 4 jackstands, slide the axle back about 4-5 inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.