larger head sail

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Glenn Shaw

My 26.5 was purchased in 1987. The sails came with a 110% genoa. I would like to upgrade that sail .I need to know if a 150% is too large. If so, maybe a 135% would be more of a match.

J

Jim Henry

Headsail

Glenn, I just purchased an '87 26.5. It also only has a 110 Genoa. I've been told by an experienced sailor (and very good friend of mine) who has an '88 28.5 that I should absolutely upgrade to AT LEAST a 135, but that a 150 or 155 would be better. Either one of these will fit, and will significantly increase performance. Note that the current jib is set up for roller furling. Using these larger sizes allows you to change your jib size at will, so the bigger the better. BTW, I am currently looking for a used jib online (don't want to spend 1000 bucks after buying the boat just yet). Hope this is of some help. Jim.

B

Bryan C

Changing jib size

There is a limit to how much you can reef the jib with roller reefing. After a few rotations, the sail turns into a useless bag (useless for pointing). I was thinking about getting a 150+ headsail, but after getting hit by a couple 30 knot sqalls, I was glad for the smaller sail I could (relatively) easily reef in. If I wanted a power sail, personally I'd get a spinnaker or some kind of cruising chute.

D

Dick Vance

Match Sail To Typical Winds

Your best choice would depend on the typical winds on your lake. You already have a 110 for those blustery days and if your winds are usually in the 0-15 range common on inland lakes, go with the 150. You should be able to carry this sail within this range, reefing the main and then the genoa if needed, at the upper limits. You will be slow with a 135 under 10 and dead under 5. The 150 on my 25.5 will pull if there's any wind at all, though I go to a nylon 170 for 5 or under. (I have hank-ons) Its true that the larger sails lose effective shape if rolled in very much but if you get hit by a summer storm, you probably would want to go under main alone or motor anyway. HTH Dick Vance H-25.5 "Honey Bear"

C

Charlie Buerschinger

I put a 150 on my 26.5. In light air it is great; Poled out on a run, fantastic. Heavy air is another story. You will need to add tracks for jib cars and they should be through bolted. The tracks should run from a bit forward of the winch to up to where the old blocks were so you can easily fly a smaller sail. Have your sail maker lay out the angle of the tracks. In a wind, those easy single handed tacks will not be there like with the old 110.

L

lEE

hEADSAIL

Jim... you might check with Atlantic Sail Traders for a new/used head sail..www.usedsails.com we just purchased a used sail from them 38'10"x 38'6"x 20'"10 hank on for 390 $ new around 150 + no report as to real condition but is supposed to be "good" Lee "Water Honey II

Status
Not open for further replies.