Large Frame alternator in M25XP

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
@Hayden Watson, thanks for the write-up. Looking good. I agree with not powder coating anything that needs to shed heat. I'm working up a 225-250A alternator with serpentine for a 3 cyl Perkins. Balmar only has a dual-V and I know how much you love them :biggrin:. I am looking elsewhere for this project. Electromaxx might have a pulley kit and the alternator is TBD.

What did you use for the voltage regulator? Did you go with the Arco Zeus?
Right now for testing I am using a simple DIY regulator.
  • It is a voltage switch that allows me to turn on and off a relay at a fixed voltage. (14.2v off, 13.5v on)
  • The source power to the relay comes through an Inkbird thermostat which I have set to 190ºF with the thermistor on the Alt temp mount provided by TAE.
  • The output of the relay goes to a 30A PWM controller which provides me with full control of the alternator output.
  • The field current from the PWM currently has a couple of 0.5-ohn 100W power resistors in serise that limits the output of the 250A down to 150A max with full field.
  • Once I am satisfied with the performance at 150A I will lower the resistance to just one of the 0.5-ohm resistors to get up to about the 190A I am targeting.
  • This is done for testing and data collection so that I will be able to assess the affects on alternator and engine performance.
After I have done all of my testing, I will likely install a Zeus and program it based on the data collected.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Applied Science electrical science. Who says STEM education does not provide paybacks.
:biggrin:

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Once and Engineer always and Engineer. The fact that I recently retired only means that boredom leads to experimentation.

• Ha