Large Frame alternator in M25XP

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
And even prettier when installed. ;)

Did you get the belt buddy too? I found the standard arm could not cope with the increased load from the larger alternator.

1709849236357.png

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Well, I started the install today and it defiantly fits. The large frame is only a bit bigger than my old Ample Power 100A that it is replacing. I will need to create a new adjuster arm because the old one is too short.

I found a remote oil kit that works with my XP which will be a nice addition.
Size comparison between new and old. The new sure has a lot more cooling ventilation and the 12-diode rectifier with large heat sink should work cooler than the old 6-diode configuration in the Ample.
4 pro-NZ9SGQMD.jpeg

Front view. I will need to lift the engine about 3" to install the crank pulley. I did the motor mounts a couple of years ago so that will not be a challenge.
5 2024-04-13 16.24.46.jpg

Top view. Lots of room for new alternator.
5 2024-04-13 16.25.18.jpg

I am hoping to install an Hiem adjuster as was suggested by Rod Collins but not sure what I could attached to down here. One though is to make an angle bracket that bolts to the top side of both port side engine mounts and use the motor mount bolt to hold it in place. The end would then cantilever out past the front mount to provide an anchor for the Hiem.
5 pro-UpzM89Oe.jpeg

I am installing a forced cool air duct which will bring cool bilge air through the foam insulated firewall and blow it directly into the rear ports into the rectifier heat sink.
6 2024-04-13 14.49.59.jpg

This picture shows the fan mount coming through the foam.
6 2024-04-13 14.50.29.jpg

This is the model of remote oil filter I found. The inner O-ring has an OD of 2.5" and fits the filter flange on the M25XP perfectly.
8 remote filter.jpg

Apr 5, 2009
Well, my installation was going swimmingly right up to the point where I tried to install the Balmer drive pulley from my serpentine belt kit. It is 64-thousants less than the original pulley and no amount of lube will get that to fit. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
How is it intended to fit and hold on the shaft? Do you need to heat it and press fit? Does the pulley have set screws?

What have you heard form Balmer?

Apr 5, 2009
How is it intended to fit and hold on the shaft? Do you need to heat it and press fit? Does the pulley have set screws?

What have you heard form Balmer?
Phe pulley is intended to mount over the top of the factory drive pulley and be clamped to it by using the three holes in the pulley intended to be used with a puller in removing the pulley. It should be a close fit with a couple of thou clearance. I haven't heard from Balmar because I did not discover it until 6:00pm on Friday. They are based out of Marysville which is only about 55-miles from me but still frustrating.

M25XP.png

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Balmar was a part of PYI. PYI is headquartered in Lynwood.

Balmar was bought by CDI electronics a few years ago and moved to Huntsville Alabama.

CDI Electronics |
353 James Record Rd. SW |
Huntsville, AL 35824

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Balmar is now owned by Dometic. A machine shop should be able to remedy the problem.

Apr 5, 2009
Their web site lists a Marysville address which would be far closer to me than Lynnwood. I do not relish the idea of paying for a machinist to rework a brand-new Item that I paid $450 for which should be built specifically for this engine.