Large Assortment of Old Sailboat Parts

Jan 31, 2018
Catalina 26 Raleigh Marina
I've recently inherited my father's home in Raleigh, NC. The house is in bad shape and to make matters worse, he was a bit of a hoarder. His hobbies included RC cars and planes, photography, and sailing. Half of the guest room was filled with boxes of used and unused sailboat accessories. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm hoping some of these items will be worth something in order to pay for repairs on the house (well, septic, roof, HVAC, etc.). My hope is that the fine folks on this forum will lend a helping hand and help me identify and even value some of these parts. My hope is to group valuable items into one pile and trinkets/trash into another. Any suggestions on what to do with these sailboat accessories would also be greatly appreciated.

Most of these items seem like they're from the 1970s and 1980s. There are some random and old parts, so hoping someone on this site will know what they are! To make it easy, I've created a shared google photo album. Any and all help is welcome. Thank you all.

Album
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jqWWYdxq1vgvwaqO2

Best,
Marty Washburn

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
looks like some new and updated items mixed in with antiques. Sailors are always looking for bargains: this site includes a for sale section that you can list items individually or as wholesale lots. Any specific item you are unsure of that need help identifying?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Marty,

While there is quite the assortment there, I only see a couple of things that may be of any value, personally I don't think that I would entertain any more than $500 for the whole lot, maybe $750 at the most.

Jan 31, 2018
Hi! I was looking for the sale area on the site. My apologies if this is the wrong area to post. Most of the unboxed items I could use some help identifying. Many of the levers, handles, and hinges.

Jan 31, 2018
Thank you DayDreamer. Any idea of how to best sell this as a lot? Go to boat shop or other local shop? Also, what about the sails? We have two sails and what looks like a boat cover. Any value there?

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
One man's junk is often another man's treasure. What boat are the sails and cover from?
If there is no marine consignment shop near you, listing on this site under classifieds or on ebay will eventually find buyers. Also bulletin boards at local boating places.
Good luck.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Wow, you have a big job in front of you. I can imagine the time it took just to get these photographs.

If there is a marine salvage store in the Raleigh area, you may want to contact them and see what they would give you for the lot. Some items could go on Craigslist (the Fortress anchor, the lines, the new anchor line are what I saw at first glance).

For the RC stuff, try to find a local club and contact the president, ask for ideas. Same for the photography stuff. A local club would be a tremendous resource. Google search for the clubs, many have a presence on MeetUp (I think that is what it's called).

Pace yourself, and try not to get emotionally invested in the value of the "stuff". Many cruisers, when downsizing their land lives to move onto the boat, are shocked that most of what they are trying to sell has little value to others.

I wish you the best of luck.

Jan 31, 2018
Thank you SFS. Great feedback! This is a big job, but the tips have all been helpful. Looking into clubs is a fantastic idea. I understand my father's "stuff" won't be worth much at all (save for the rare motivated buyer).

Thanks all for the feedback so far. Extremely helpful

Jul 29, 2004
Hunter 340 Lake Lanier, GA
Hi! I was looking for the sale area on the site. My apologies if this is the wrong area to post. Most of the unboxed items I could use some help identifying. Many of the levers, handles, and hinges.
Marty, here is the "Gear Ads" link for free advertising on this site to list your stuff for sale: https://hunter.sailboatowners.com/gear/gear.php
These ads expire after a few months but are easily renewed, and hopefully in time a lot of your stuff will sell once someone discovers what you have.
I would recommend starting with the newer, packaged items, use individual ads for each item with a descriptive title and good pictures, and any dimensional information that would help someone decide if your item is what they are looking for. If there are markings on the item or packaging with part numbers, sizes, weights, etc. take a closeup picture of that information. I've had some success with this approach, hopefully you will too. Good luck!

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
CL would be a nightmare unless you did a "all or nothing" sale, EBAY probably better but still a full time job, Ebay "jobbers" are available who will market it for you. Or perhaps a local charity, like a Sea Scout or any youth organization would be interested in selling them on Ebay and split the proceeds. Sounds like you got enough on your hands without going into the chandlery biz.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Thank you DayDreamer. Any idea of how to best sell this as a lot? Go to boat shop or other local shop? Also, what about the sails? We have two sails and what looks like a boat cover. Any value there?
You will have to take measurements of the sails from the clew (where it connects to the boat) to the tack where a control line connects and from the clew to the head (top of the sail) this will give a perspective buyer the dimensions needed. Pictures of the sails laid out is also helpful, knowing what type and length of boat is helpful as well.
I am not quite sure how I would go about selling as a lot, but I am sure that is what you would like to do.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Looks like Craigslist may be the way to go here.
No.... don't go there unless you know the value and specs of your inventory, and it's too much trouble to sort each unit into an ad. A boater swap meet would be ideal.
There are some jewels in that assortment... and some standard salvage stuff... but your best bet is to try to find a consignment store or a salvage store like Minney's in So Cal. Unfortunately, minney's not buying right now...they are overstocked on everything.

It would be really cool if you could find a boater's swap meet.... Call around to the local marina's and boat store's for some help... Good luck.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I see stuff there that you could sell. The spinnaker, the anchor, radio, galley pump, line, tiller tamer. Lots of stuff.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Our marina sometimes holds a swap meet/sale. You could add them to your inquiries. Of course, most of the marinas are on the sounds east of Raleigh.