Lantern Advice

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Glass on a boat? Well, OK I guess pointing that out is a good thing to do....

But if folk are not up to that level of knowledge, the expression "you can't fix stupid" comes to mind...

dj
Are you suggesting there are people out there in the internet that know less than they think they do? Say for instance this self-styled "Expert" who doesn't understand the first thing about boat wiring, wire size, and voltage drop. People pay him good money for his nonsense.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
The “safety” mining lamp was a tremendous step forward in preventing mining disasters. Encasing the flame in glass or metal gauze prevented the combustible gases (called firedamp) from exploding, as would happen with the open flames of carbide or oil-wick lamps. More info from Wikipedia: The Davy lamp is a safety lamp used in flammable atmospheres, invented in 1815 by Sir Humphry Davy. It consists of a wick lamp with the flame enclosed inside a mesh screen. It seems to me this would be a good idea for somebody with a plastic boat made to look like wood and being ran with a gas engine who did not want to step so far back to install candle holders but still wanted the old timey look of open flame lighting brass fixtures. Probably doesn't give enough light to improve your view of your Kindle reader.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
A properly gimbaled or hung lantern is much safer, though not as save as a battery operated lantern.
Agree, Dave. That is how we installed ours; mounted on the wall and gimbaled. Due to the high heat output of the Aladdin lamp, I also have a heat shield mounted above the glass chimney. The reason for the wood back plate is because that is where our nautical oil lamp used to be that we moved to the aft cabin. I did not want to drill new holes for the Aladdin lamp so made the backing wood plate to use the existing holes. The only time I light the lamp is when we're at anchor. Ditto the aft cabin lantern.
Aladdin Mantle Lamp.jpg

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Are you suggesting there are people out there in the internet that know less than they think they do? Say for instance this self-styled "Expert" who doesn't understand the first thing about boat wiring, wire size, and voltage drop. People pay him good money for his nonsense.

That guy :facepalm: . I see an email reply in his future about wire length, gauge, and low voltage cutoff.

Sep 7, 2022
Captiva Yachts Sanibel 18 Lake Wylie
Thanks everyone; this discussion was just what I was looking for. Didn't know about wick trimming, for instance, though people are always doing it in old novels. Now I see why. Keeps down the soot.

After looking at the Aladdin and Trawler Jr lamps, I decided that the small Weems and Plath lantern was my best choice for this small craft. The small gimbal isn't sold anymore, but I imagine I can buy the large one and adapt it somehow. I ordered the small lamp off Etsy. Looks like I won't be able to read by its light, but it will take the edge off the chill, and I can also use a rechargeable light too if I'm reading. No burning lamp while underway or asleep for me, of course.

So W&P parraffin oil is about a dollar an ounce. I wonder if the cheaper oil I'm seeing online, such as Hyoola brand at about half the cost, are just as good? Thanks for any input.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
We use unscented lamp oil that can be purchased at a grocery or hardware store. But the W&P does burn well and puts out a nice warm light while also burning a hole in your wallet.

Dec 4, 2023
Hunter 44 Portsmouth
A friend gave me an oil lamp that's bulkhead-mounted (for safety). It's on a gimbal (also for safety).

I was very skeptical about it at first, because of safety concerns; but I like it. It puts out a really great ambiance that's lovely on cold, dark, winter nights (or afternoons).

It puts out a little bit of heat, not much to write home about in that department. You could read with it if hard-pressed, but your eyes are going to be straining.

As others have said, make sure to get the highly refined paraffin oil to avoid smoke.

Also, consider putting a "smoke bell" above it if it's mounted to a bulkhead. This protects whatever is above the lamp from heat (or catching on fire). I dealt with this company to buy a smoke bell. They were fantastic.
Oil Lamps & Hurricane Lanterns | Free Shipping Over $99 | Vermont Lanterns

Sep 7, 2022
Captiva Yachts Sanibel 18 Lake Wylie
Hi American Mainsail, thank you for the link. The lamp I bought has a sort of built-in smoke bell, but another wouldn't hurt. I lit the lamp last night and some soot came out; I think I need to let the burner heat up before putting on the rest of the lamp. Those reflectors / carriers also look really useful! I will order one.

Last edited:

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
After looking at the Aladdin and Trawler Jr lamps, I decided that the small Weems and Plath lantern was my best choice for this small craft. The small gimbal isn't sold anymore, but I imagine I can buy the large one and adapt it somehow. I ordered the small lamp off Etsy.
I have the small 600 and the large 700. I had a broken glass on the 600 but couldn't find them anywhere so I made some. If you want one PM me. I plan on making special mounts, but haven't done it yet.
20230313_130154.jpg20230313_140604.jpg