Landfall 38 What is this?

Jul 30, 2015
C&C Landfall 38 Washington
This fitting is bolted through the bulkhead at the aft end of the galley storage area. It passes through the deck to a plate with four screws. There is a mirror fitting on the port side, in the head. Any idea what it is?? Thanks in advance!
20191114_105331.jpg
20191114_105259.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Huh!?!
Wish I could help. There should be someone along who knows more.
It looks like a chainplate that does nothing, which is absurd, so I'm just trying to help keep your question current.
Good luck.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 30, 2015
Thanks Will. Indeed, it looks like a chainplate to nowhere. Maybe there was an option to add additional stays, but there are no unused mounting points on the mast. Maybe it's simply intended to affix those bulkheads to the deck??

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
  1. Maybe there was an option to add additional stays, but there are no unused mounting points on the mast.
  2. Maybe it's simply intended to affix those bulkheads to the deck??
While 1 maybe possible, I suspect 2 is more likely.
If two, as I suspect you may not see much tabbing on the bulkhead to attache the bulkhead to the hull or deck. Not sure how C&C attached bulkheads. Tabbing is certainly the norm.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Is there a matching mount on other side could be a running back stay if one other side or maybe po started job an didn't finish work on mast it works like regular split back stay but enables u to pull mast to change sail shape also on new sport boats they don't have a back stay to run a flat top or real roachy sail

Jul 30, 2015
While 1 maybe possible, I suspect 2 is more likely.
If two, as I suspect you may not see much tabbing on the bulkhead to attache the bulkhead to the hull or deck. Not sure how C&C attached bulkheads. Tabbing is certainly the norm.
I tend to agree. The bulkhead face is vertical, of course, so the load of a stay would be off axis with the fitting.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
On my boat the Chainplates are aligned with the bulkhead tabs and tabbed onto the hull.
My understanding of boat design is to transfer the forces of the mast to the hull not to a bulkhead. That being a good assumption would explain why so many designs have their chainplates actually attached to the sides of the hull.

In your case there are a few things possible. It could be an additional stay. Not enough info or pictures of your rigging to make even a SWAG.

I would assure that they are not leaking. They could be a great source of water into your deck.

Jul 30, 2015
That's a good point. The deck seems solid, but clearly there was water incursion onto the bulkhead face, port side, at some point. The veneers are damaged. I should remove and rebed both fittings just in case. Thanks for your thoughts.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
on aeolus, there is an old school roller reefing boom. to have a boom vang, we have a large strap that goes over the boom about the middle of it's length. we attach a block and tackle from the stap down to a plate that we can screw in a large eye bolt. that plate is in the same area as your mystery fixture.

Jul 30, 2015
Interesting. That strap would indeed put load on the bulkhead on a vertical axis. Coventina has a vang attached to the mast collar, so the mystery continues. Thanks for that.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
Interesting. That strap would indeed put load on the bulkhead on a vertical axis. Coventina has a vang attached to the mast collar, so the mystery continues. Thanks for that.
but did she always?

Jul 30, 2015
I don't know. She was built the year I graduated from high school and I only claimed her six years ago.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
The damage to the bulkhead around that chainplate leads me to believe it is a replacement chainplate. Is it possible the rig was changed and the original rig required a chainplate for a shroud?
www.sailboatdata.com reports:
"The LANDFALL 38 shares the same hull design as the C&C 38-2 but with a shallower keel, shorter rig and entirely different interior."
Maybe you can compare the rig specs on that site to what you have.

Here's a photo from the sailboatdata.com website of the Landfall 38.

1574192150194.png

Jul 30, 2015
Very interesting. Enlarging that photo I can see the same little deck plate, just aft and inboard of the diagonal stanchion support aft of the port side gate.

You can see this is all well aft of the shrouds, so I'm quite sure it's not related to the standing rigging.

At this point, absent other opinions, it seems the best explanation is that the fitting is intended to affix the deck to the bulkheads on each side of the boat.

Thank you all for your input!

Ralph