Lancer 30mk-v general questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2009
2 30mk-v My front yard!
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and sailing, so i'm looking for information related to sailing in general and specifically to a 1984 30 mk-v.

As far as the general stuff, i'd love to see some links on good sources for someone getting started in sailing. I've been googling alot and I plan on joining a local club but I would figure that this research has been done long before I came around and someone ought to be able to point me in the right direction.

For the specifics, I decided I wanted to give sailing a try and at the reccomendation of a few folks I went with a bit of a fixer upper 30ft lancer because it sounded better to get a boat I could grow into and single hand rather than have to move up after I figure the basics out. My ultimate goal is to drop this boat in the water somewhere around the georgia coast or in the gulf and head south. I'd like to spend some time cruising the keys/islands when this is all said and done and who knows what happens from there. Aside from a basics sailing course in college years ago, i'm definitely green when it comes to sailing but not marine repair and boats in general.

The boat is in good shape overall aside from the usual stuff, I bought it from houston and though it did appear to have some minor storm damage the boat is structurally sound, no evidence of being submerged or anything like that. Some minor scuffing where it seems to have rubbed in the slip.

I've already stripped the barnacles and i'm working on the blister repair/repainting the bottom from which I plan to move to the interior/engine/electrical systems. Any advice as to where to source parts for the sail drive (seals, bearings etc)? I'm also going to need a mattress for the aft berth if anyone knows where to snag one, custom made or any chance of ordering?

Not sure of the condition of the yanmar just yet though I know it isn't frozen because I can grab the pulley and turn it over (feels low on compression so it might have to come out for a rebuild) Any ideas on how that is accomplished? I've got some manuals on the way but not exactly sure how much they will detail so it might just be a tear it apart experience but advice as to what to expect/look for would be nice.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I highly recommend a subscription to Good Old Boat magazine. You can get a free issue from their site and I am sure you will enjoy it. There I suggest you post lancer specific questions here, but general questions on the "ask all sailors" forum. I suggest you post your engine question there and be sure to post the model. Hermit Scott just rebuilt his 1cyl Yanmar, so he might be a good source of information.

http://www.selectabed.com/custom-mattress.htm makes custom mattresses, but mostly in foam. So does http://www.boatbeds.com, but they seem to make both inner spring and latex.

Jun 12, 2009
2 30mk-v My front yard!
Bob,

Thanks for that info, should help solve the bedding issue. I'll definitely take your advice on the magazine. As an update, I drained the fuel system yesterday and realized that there was more water in the tank than there was diesel. The tank is a little funny to me, instead of being a one piece unit the top of the tank seems to be removable with a gasket of sorts to seal. Obviously, the water got in there somehow. Not sure if this was done from the factory or modified for some reason after the fact, but I guess its one more thing to figure out.

Thanks again for the reply.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Do yourself a favor

Replace your tank(s) with plastic. The previous owner of my boat patched a leaky aluminum diesel tank before I bought it. They start to pinhole from the inside and he used some gas tank repair epoxy. It will last for a little while, but if I knew he was going to pull the tank to do that I would have drop shipped him a new plastic tank. They are only about $150-200. Now the damned aluminum fresh water tank has failed. Digging the thing out of the vee berth should be a blast! That tank will be about $400 in plastic if I can use a standard size made by Ronco.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
The PO probably made the access port so he could clean the tank out without removing it. Stuff grows in diesel and you need a biocide and fuel filters. If he had a real problem once this might have been his solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.