Lancer 30 Rudder / Steering Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2010
Lancer 30 Harbor Island San Diego
I was out yesterday in my Lancer 30 and had trouble with my steering when I put the boat hardover (either way ) during modest winds. At one point my steering locked up and made a grinding sound when it was put hard over.
I had control if I kept the boat out of the extremes of steering to either side and made it back to the marina. I have an Edison pedestal (cable) and when I looked at the connection to the rudder post, i noticed the rudder post would rise, maybe 1/2 " to 1" when I cramped the wheel either way.
Does anyone have any ideas? Could this be a bearing (are there bearings in that rudder post)? The cables are good and tight and it turns fine if I dont' turn the wheel to its limits either way.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I would shoot an email off to Edson and see if they can give you any guidance. At least try and get an exploded view document of the way all the parts fit. It sounds like when you get to a certain point in the sweep the cable going up the pedestal to the wheel is lifting the post. If I was at my boat I could take a look and see, but all I have is memories of looking at the rudder post and how the cables are attached.

If you don't get many replies here, try posting in the Ask All Sailors section. That will hit the majority of the user of SBO.

May 29, 2009
Lancer 27ps Suisun City
Two possibles for you, rudder post bearings, specifically the upper, or one of your cable guides has come loose or broken free allowing the cable to pull up instead of straight at the ends of travel, the last would definitely cause a grinding noise, just for grins, check your quadrant bolts and key.

Noth

Oct 12, 2010
Lancer 30 MK V (1984) Plymouth, MA
There aren't any bearings in the rudder tube.. just pieces of PVC pipe.. I dropped my rudder to fit an emergency tiller fitting to the top and when it was down crammed a ton of waterproof grease in the tube.. has been pretty smooth for the last 20 years..

Status
Not open for further replies.