Lancer 29 - 1979

• Thread starter Lancer Buyer - Rochester
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lancer Buyer - Rochester

We are considering the purchase of a 29 that's been out of the water for 4 seasons. Has a Yanmar 12HP.

Any advice would be appreciated - especially related to repairs one should expect in this model / vintage.

Quick! Talk me into this!

Thanks

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
The 29

is in fact the 30, which was just redesignated based on it length, as the 30 after the first year (from what I understand). The 30 is a C&C design, but wasn't built by C&C. I'd suggest you look up information on the 30, if you haven't done so already. It is supposed to be the best sailing of the small lancers, as it wasn't built as a maxi-trailerable. It is a little ahead of its time, as in the late 70's it had an aft head and an open forward cabin that really wasn't adopted by other production houses (i.e. Hunter, with the 28.5) until the mid eighties.

The interior woodwork on Lancers is pretty good and the cane front doors work well to keep those areas ventilated, but get a little brittle with age. I am sure you could have them re-caned at a place that does chairs, but didn't do anything myself when I had my 25. If it has a headliner, which it probably does, it is a pain because it is difficult to access the nuts to deck hardware to rebed it and difficult to trace leaks.

On the 25 and 28 the hull to deck joint was screws and 5200, which, if used on the 29/30 would be a bit marginal in my opinion. You can readily see this by looking in some of the cockpit lockers.

The Y12 is also a bit marginal for a boat this size, but beyond that small Yanmar's (I have a 2 cyl 15 hp) are real teeth rattlers and the one cylinders are the worst of the bunch. However it will hand crank, which is a plus in my opinion.

Be careful to evaluate the electrical panel. By that I mean, make sure you look at the back of it for poor / overheated connections. My 82 L25 wiring was a mess with lots of untinned wire that was on its last legs. This might be true of any boat of this vintage. Once again, the headliner could be in play when you rewire. On the plus side, if you can snake wires on top of it you won't be able to see them...on the minus side if you have to cut into it (my L25 didn't have any zippers) you will have a potentially challenging repair on your hands. My L25 had duct tape on the headliner under the mast step, where someone had done some work. I always intended to try to blind stitch it, but was too busy sailing.

Other things to look for are common to all boats. Look for globs of sealer around fittings on the deck. It means that someone was worried about a leak, but not so worried as to do the job right. Leaky windows, especially if it has large fixed ports, can be a significant headache. Make sure you tap around looking for damp / wet deck core as this could mean the boat is essentially junk. Look for "loose" stanchions as the deck underneath may be damaged or backing plates may be inadequate. Washers are inadequate. Water in the rudder is not uncommon and should be looked for.

That all for now.

L

Lancer Buyer - Rochester

Thanks

Bob,

Thank you very much for the input. I noticed the potential difficulties with the zipper header. You're right about the blind fishing if I have to wire or re-wire.

Your point about the deck is especially interesting to me. It has mild to moderate checking in the cockpit and in an area away from the mast about 12 to 18 inches. I'm waiting to survey the boat now and get an engine test.

One question from your comment about the deck is the stability of the bow pulpit. I can deflect the point about 1/2" with moderate pressure. All other fittings and windows appear cleanly sealed with no evidence of leak. In fact, the interior is spotless.

I've made note of your other comments and if you don't mind I may post another question or two. I'll check out to 30 postings as well.

Thanks again.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Tapping 101

Regarding the deck. Before you get a survey buy a plastic headed hammer or even use the plastic handle of a screwdriver to sound the deck. You will feel like an idiot for two minutes but it will become obvious to you what core is sound and what is delaminated or dead. The spots likely to be bad are anywhere something is mounted...bow pullpit...stanchions...base of the mast...around chainplates...floor of the cockpit (near the drains or the wheel if it has one). I had a surveyor look at a boat and it turned out the decks were all wet. He had difficulty finding a dry spot. I was lucky in that he only charged me $120 for the aborted survey. The deck over solid core will return a sharp report. Tapping an area with wet core will return a dull thunk. Delamination (deck unglued from the core, but potentially sound core)is a bit tougher as it is somewhere in between.

Word to the wise...don't expect a 25 year old boat to be perfectly dry. I just bought a boat and I have to fix under a stanchion and around the hole where the mast wires pass. The later might turn into a more significant repair if I am unlucky. I will also be re-bedding all the hardware over the next few years. It just has to be done and frequently isn't. So I will try to do the wire hole, stanchion and chainplates this fall and then do some more in the spring.

I spent double the money I originally intended to get a boat in better condition (20K instead of 10K) but if you wish to buy a particular make/model of boats you will likely end up with some repairs on you hands. I was amazed at what messes two boats I looked at for $16K and $18K were. Both are still on the market. I paid near full price for my boat, but it had $5000+ in recent improvements and was in good shape. The owner did have to fix some rot in the bulkheads. We were both lucky that the design of the boat made the repair easier than it could have been.

I typically monitor this site often, so ask away and I will do my best to help out.

L

Lancer Buyer - Rochester

Deck sounding

Bob,

Thanks for the advice on the deck. We've looked at it again and with the exception I mentioned on the bow pulpit, it seems sound. We're surveying it Friday.

I'm told that either the entire deck or the roof over the cabin is not sandwich contruction. Are you aware of any designs that were laid up this way?

We'll keep our fingers crossed for a sound survey.

Greg

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Best wishes

For a good survey. Believe me, after the experiences I had the best survey is an uneventful one.

Status
Not open for further replies.