Lancer 28 loose stanchions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2007
-Lancer -28 The Sea Of Cortez
One of my stanchions was loose and leaking, the one on the starboard side near the front of the cockpit. Everyone grabs onto it when boarding..Giving up on removing the interior upholstery, that hid the base of the stanchion, I cut some of it away only to find the backing plate and nuts had been fiberglassed over! It took an hour with a hammer and chisel to remove this covering and expose the badly corroded (stainless) lock-nuts. At first I thought this was some botched repair done in the past, but why? I'm beginning to think it was done this way at the factory as a way to hold the backing plate and nuts in position because the stanchions were installed AFTER the interior was which made installing them impossible...After 25 years, when the stanchion bolts are tightened from above and the corroded nuts break out of the fiberglass and just turn, hidden inside their fiberglass covers, impossible to replace unless the fiberglass is broken out, what a poor design solution..I also discovered the 3/16" screws that hold the deck cleats and foreward chainplate in place had no backing plates or washers! The nuts were run down right against the fiberglass, all hidden by the difficult to remove interior paneling.

Status
Not open for further replies.