"MacGregor 26

OWNER’S INSTRUCTIONS

14. PREVENTION OF ALGAE IN THE BALLAST
TANK
If you leave the ballast tank full of water for long periods,
drop in a few swimming pool chlorine tablets to prevent a
bad case of algae. Be cautious when handling the chlorine
tablets. Follow the directions on the chlorine tablet container
very carefully. Don’t put chlorine in the galley water tank.
Don’t leave water in the tank in freezing weather. Damage
could result."

I tried to find out from the Oregon Fish and Game Dept. if this would kill the Zebra Mussel. The would never respond and answer the question.

Chuck

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
From The MacGregor Manual:

"MacGregor 26

OWNER’S INSTRUCTIONS

14. PREVENTION OF ALGAE IN THE BALLAST
TANK
If you leave the ballast tank full of water for long periods,
drop in a few swimming pool chlorine tablets to prevent a
bad case of algae. Be cautious when handling the chlorine
tablets. Follow the directions on the chlorine tablet container
very carefully. Don’t put chlorine in the galley water tank.
Don’t leave water in the tank in freezing weather. Damage
could result."

I tried to find out from the Oregon Fish and Game Dept. if this would kill the Zebra Mussel. The would never respond and answer the question.

Chuck

Thanks, I found this so far:

Most commercial water users rely on chemicals such as chlorine, filters, or mechanical scraping to remove mussels from their intake pipes and facilities.
......... http://www.nationalatlas.gov/articles/biology/a_zm.html

Chlorine has worked effectively to kill zebra mussels, but it also harms everything else, so alternatives more benign to the ecosystem are being explored. See the bibliography for places to contact for more information
.......... http://www.gma.org/surfing/human/zebra.html

Looks like you are on the right track with the chlorine, but how much and how to use it in the ballast tank?

Then how do we convince someone that are ballast boat is/has been cleaned? Just a few years ago they had a big push on to stop them from going past the 100 meridian. Well they are now to the west coast and really there are now just pockets in the west where they aren't yet. I'll pay $40 to buy two stickers in Idaho this week for this, yet they are just collecting money and have no program set up to prevent them from entering the state. They won't inspect our boats, just collect the money.

Also I see where they are trying to keep them out of Lake Tahoe and one of the lakes they say is infected with mussels in their list of infected lakes is Lake Powell. Yet Lake Powell is supposed to be free of them at this point according to the authorities there.

What a mess,

Sum

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I heard (in a gift shop) that they had found Zebra mussels at the West end of Lake Powell but not the East end..

Attachments

cscott

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S - 1993 Aumsville, OR
Hi,
I feel like we have Hi-Jacked this thread and got on a Zebra Mussel topic. I think we should start a new thread if we want to continue this topic.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.