Lake Champlain Sailors?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I sail on lake Champlain and after a conversation this past weekend that there are other sailors here also sailing this lovely lake, I thought I'd ask here if there is anyone on SBO sailing there?

Might be fun getting together, meeting up, or whatever.

Anyone here sailing on Champlain and care to meet up?

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Pass by Snug on my way to PBB.
Al,

When are you heading to Plattsburgh Boat Basin and passing by Snug Harbor? Do you sail out of Port Kent?

dj

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
When dLj and I were sailing off Valcour Island, there was a regatta going on with a large number of surprisingly big sailboats. I'm sure some of them must be SBO members too. It seemed most of the sailors we spoke with had a French accent, so there's an international flair to the area.
What an amazing sailing location. It made me salivate for the time when I can get my Mariner in there for a sail. I hope next Summer will give me more time for Dragonfly. In the mean time, my Windmill would also be a blast. The wind was perfect.
Thank dLj for a great sail.

-Will (Dragonfly)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
When dLj and I were sailing off Valcour Island, there was a regatta going on with a large number of surprisingly big sailboats. I'm sure some of them must be SBO members too. It seemed most of the sailors we spoke with had a French accent, so there's an international flair to the area.
What an amazing sailing location. It made me salivate for the time when I can get my Mariner in there for a sail. I hope next Summer will give me more time for Dragonfly. In the mean time, my Windmill would also be a blast. The wind was perfect.
Thank dLj for a great sail.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Will,

You have a standing invitation to come sail with me any time. It was more fun than I've had in a long time. Come back with or without your boats, we can sail either way. As you know, there is a free boat ramp right down the street from my camper so launching one of your boats would be easy.

There's a reason for finding so many sail boats on Champlain - it's great sailing grounds!

dj

Apr 1, 2012
Pearson 424 Charleston, SC
I grew up in the Champlain Islands and have fond memories of sailing the lake as a child with my parents, first in an amf puffer then long weekends in our 19’ Sail Star Corinthian. Spent 5 days of our honeymoon on my Father’s US yacht 22. Finally purchased a Catalina 30 and sailed all over the lake with my wife and two dogs. My father and I always found ourselves in a race against each other, he in his Oday 25(keel not shoal draft), my wing keel wouldn’t let me point as well as him so he always got me on the windward tacks.

Attachments

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Spindrift NH - Are you still sailing your Catalina 30 on the lake? I've seen a number of Catalina 30's on the lake.

dj

Apr 1, 2012
Pearson 424 Charleston, SC
No, we sold the Catalina(it’s still slipped at the boathouse in Burlington) and have been living aboard our Pearson in Charleston for 4 years. We do hope to get our Pearson on Champlain for a summer but that’s a few years out.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
To get your sailboat on lake Champlain, do you need to drop the mast? Can a boat under 30' tall make it up the Hudson or down Richelieu without droping the mast?

-Will (Dragonfly)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
I believe the Richelieu has 29 feet clearance and the Champlain Canal about 14 feet. But my book is up at the boat, so I can't look it up...

I would have to drop the mast on my boat going either way...

dj