Laguna 26' vs. Catalina 25'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 26, 2011
Catalina 22 Lanoka Harbor
Hello, everyone! I have been researching sailboats for what seems like months now, trying to pick a suitable boat for my area to learn to sail on. Barnegat Bay is treacherous and choppy, with strong tidal currents, but shallow (4') in many places. I want to try and avoid anything likely to get tossed around, and I'd like a nice smooth ride, but I also need to avoid shoals and shallow spots - and what I've been reading means there's a compromise in there. This weekend, I am looking at a 1982 Catalina 25' (swing keel/poptop) and from the photos it looks as though its current owner had a little love affair going on, as the boat has everything restored and sparkling. I am also looking at a 26' Laguna with a fixed keel (3'6") that the current owner (just the second owner of this 1988 boat) has been, until this season, a conscientious owner, but who hasn't had a chance to maintain it because power/water was cut at his marina due to some on going bulkheading project and he tells me he's frustrated at not being able to keep it pristine. So, even though the boats are of different ages, the older boat may "show" better. And, I don't want to be swayed by a pretty salon table and shiny fiberglass. Long story short - if there is anyone who might give me an idea of how these two boats will handle; and an opinion on which one would be a better fit for a beginner, I would greatly appreciate the advice. Personally, at this point, I am leaning towards the Laguna - because I have been told (not sure if everything I hear is true) that the weight of the keel will be better in my Bay for handling the turbulence and pointing upwind.

Any comments here would be helpful.

Thank you! Mary & Joseph

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Basic stats for comparing both of these boats:
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=2911
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=435
(I hope I picked the correct model of Catalina 25 - there are quite a few varieties.)

It seems to me you've done a pretty good amount of research on these boats with an eye towards your sailing area of Barnegat Bay. While I'm not so familiar with either of these boats I would think that either of these would be fine on Barnegat Bay. I happen to be partial to center board boats (my Tartan 27' with full keel has one) as when you run aground you can simply raise the board. On the other hand the Laguna has only about a 3' draft.
I'm not sure about the reputation of the Laguna sailboats; they may have been built a little more sturdy then your average Catalina. But Catalina is still in business for a reason and Laguna is not.
Ideally, I'd say to look at both boats before deciding. Even better would be to get a sail on each so you can compare the way they each handle.
All boats are trade offs in one way or another so choose carefully.
Good luck.

Mar 26, 2011
Catalina 22 Lanoka Harbor
PS. We never did buy the O'Day 23', so my "profile" on this website is not accurate and needs to be updated.

KMm

Aug 20, 2010
Used to own a Cat 25 and I loved the boat. handled every situation I put it in and came through with flying colors. So, I did a little checking and here is how the Laguna and the Cat compare
Weight L-3900
C-4161
Sail area L- 275
C- 271
Capsize ratio L-2.12
C-1.99
Motion Comfort L-15.6
C-17.39
Speed L-6.21
C-6.3

Where Laguna gives up its performance is in the shoal keel and displacement. Cat 25 is a smother ride and faster and your ability to drop that swing keel to full depth (point better) and still get through the 4 ft. areas with keel part way up make it the winner. At least as I sees it. It also sounds like it is in much better shape than the Laguna. Good Luck either way you go. Fair winds. Sorry wrote down the wrong name, have the right numbers for the Laguna.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Where Lancer gives up its performance is in the shoal keel and displacement. Cat 25 is a smother ride and faster and your ability to drop that swing keel to full depth (point better) and still get through the 4 ft. areas with keel part way up make it the winner. At least as I sees it. It also sounds like it is in much better shape than the lancer. Good Luck either way you go. Fair winds
I thought he was asking about a Laguna 26.

Anyway...... a number of years ago a dock neighbor brought in a laguna 26... first time sailboat owner. I went out with him a few times to help him get squared away... I thought it was an okay boat... lots of room inside... the down side is it has very high freeboard and a somewhat weak sailplan... My impression was the boat was kind of "tubby" sorry I don't have a better description, maybe "tank". I've sailed catalina 25's, 22's and a Capri 22... All of them, including my Catalina 27 sail and handle better than the Laguna 26.

I did take my laguna friends out with me a few times.... of course, the wife had way more fun because I'm a fun skipper... and I let everyone steer. (the husband would sit at the tiller of their laguna and shout orders to his wife/crew... I could see she wasn't thrilled) Anyway......... they got rid of the laguna 26 within 6 months and purchased a Catalina 34.

Status
Not open for further replies.