Lack of Q.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have an 1995 H26 and have had both my DOYLE sails worked on. The jib tour the clue out and the main had to replace the luff line. Both with in 2 years of beeing new. It abears both were made off shore and lack Q.C.. But STILL cary the DOYLE name.

R

Ray Bowles

Don't have a clue who you are but that has not

been my experence with the Doyle sails on my 95 H26, and I've sailed her fanny off. Put your name on your post and it might be taken with more value. If not then it will be recieved without value. Ray S/V Speedy

B

Bill Colombo

Warranty

Doyle prides itself on the quality of its product, and we stand by it. All Doyle sails carry a 1 year warranty that covers any defect in materials or workmanship. I would urge you to take advantage of this. Most problems with new sails usually become obvious during the first few months of use and are relatively small easy adjustments. It is rare to develop a warranty issue 2 years down the line but you should contact a Doyle Rep anyway and describe the problems you are having. We certainly would like you to be happy with your sails but if you don't call us we can't help. Bill C.

E

ED

Still Question

Your right,it was the luff line. I told a DOYLE local rep at one of the Charlotte boat shows, his coment was the quote on a new sail.Saying the sail was made off shore and DOYLE WAS NOT RESPONISABLE after one year. I had the sails fixed in MD. The sail maker said the clue was held in by the wrong type of straping , drgrated by UV. also the luff line was wrong also , it srunk when wet. Now let me see, the Rep says "off shore" and another sail maker says of two sails both have the wrong meteral. I do know now I will only have sails on my boat made by a sail maker I can talk to a real person not "off shore". Question were does DOYLE make most of it"s sails ?????

B

Bill Colombo

OEM vs Custom Sails Etc.

Ed, If you do a little research you will find that almost all OEM sails(sails which are supplied with a new boat) are produced "offshore". The reason for this as usual, is cost. Offshore manufacturers have low labor rates which ultimately saves you money. All the major Sailmakers have such offshore facilities. The Doyle OEM Sails are built in Barbados, and they do a great job. OEM sails are, however, built to the boat manufacturer's specifications. Any Doyle replacement sails that you might purchase will be built at a local US loft. The sails that you can purchase through the Hunter Owners Website are custom built to Doyle specs either at my loft in Alameda, CA or at one of Mark Ploch's lofts (NY or FLA). Bill Colombo, Doyle SF

T

Tom

Ed, It sounds like you might have a good case

If its true that after only 2 years you have noticable UV degradation and if its apparent the webbing was not the same/correct material I would document and bring it to your Doyle Rep (There are other factors also.....did you buy it new or did it come with the boat, etc). That really shouldn't happen! What happened to the original sails from when the boat was new (1995)?......... I had old worn out sails (10 years) on my last boat and the Clew was not the part that was going (rather the sail was a little "blown out"...stretched....and the UV cover and stitching was deteriorating)....but the clew was fine ! As far as the the Leech line goes(I think *again* you meant to say leech line), I don't know how your sail is set up but mine has a very long leech line and it really doesn't matter whether it shrinks or not (and I bet mine does shrink). But there is adequate line there for me to adjust as I need to do to adjust the sail. This might sound like a stupid question, but is there *any* leech line still exposed sticking out on the lower part of the sail. Typically the better sails also have a little plastic jam cleat near the clew of the sail (or at least little grommeted holes) for you to tighten or loosen.......Did you try and loosen that line at all?

J

Jon Bastien

Luff line or bolt rope?

Ed may be referring to the "shrinking bolt rope" syndrome when he refers to his 'luff line'... --Jon

E

Ed

Bill

Bill you said DOYLE sails are made in BARBADOS. I saw a new Hunter at the lade and it had DOYLE sails on it. But the lable said nade in HONG KONG. Were are DOYLE sails MADE ?????? I am asking a stright question.

E

Ed

Bill

Bill yo usay the sails are made in Barbados the label says made in HONG KONG if you don't know were the sail is made how do you keep up Q.C.??? And a new boat has sails made "OFF SHORE" how do I belive that the manufactors specs. were held to the Q.C. level if you don't know were "OFF SHORE" is???

M

Mike B.

To Ed

Ed, Bill owns a loft that makes Doyle in Alameda, CA. He does not work at Doyle's corporate offices, nor does he have any direct involvement with their OEM sails. While Bill may have some interesting opinions and comments about the OEM sails, you should direct any questions or concerns to either Doyle's headquarters, or the boat manufacturer.

B

Bill Colombo

Wow!

Ed, There are 20 Doyle lofts in the States and another 25 throughout the rest of the world. There has never been a Doyle production loft in Hong Kong. Bill C.

J

Joe Baker

Bolt rope clews

There is a significant amount of verification that H-26 Doyle sails had premature(post warranty) bolt rope shrinkage and jib clew problems. In short, your problems are common but not expensive.

E

Ed

BILL

That may be right I really don't know. I do know what I saw the LABLE on the sail. If I can I'll try to get a pic. of the lable. One thing I do know DOYLE sails on new boats are or apear to be made "off shore" and as such DOYLE has limmited Q.C. ( so does all the large sail makers). When bying a new boat the sail cost is a small part of the price, so I might think twice. The boat is at Steel Creek on Kerr lake in NC

Status
Not open for further replies.