L25-V - Lead bulging into cockpit

Mik

Jan 22, 2008
Santana 20 Chandler, AZ AZ
Hello

I have agreed to purchase a very nice Lancer 25-V sailboat. After cleaning out all the "stuff" from the PO, I noticed the floor over the keel was bulging.

After lifting up the rear cover and poking my head inside the bilge, the flashlight lit up what looked like a mushrooming batch of shotgun shot. It actually lifted up the floor to break the fiberglass the wood was screwed into and lift it about 2 inches. All the screws are rusted away underneath from what I could see. '

I will be reviewing the keep outside for bulges in the light Monday.

Should I hand it back and see if I can get my money returned? He is a great guy and I have done biz with him recently and was fair all around. Or can I lift the floor off, chisel out the rusting lead, and put down an epoxy paint and if no other issues, sail on?

also

How can I get the floor up without damaging the screw top covers? Or are they just going to have to get redone?

Thx
Mike

Dec 29, 2010
Hunter 25.5 Point Venture, TX
Lead does not rust, iron does. From my experience (albeit limited) internal ballast of rusting iron shot is a terminal problem. Once water incursion into the ballast starts it is very difficult to dry out the ballast enough to prevent further rusting, even if you can prevent further water incursion.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
The reality is that Lancer threw heavy scrap into the keel and dumped epoxy on top. Now there are two routes of entry to cause the corrosion...from the inside or the outside. If the boat is sitting okay in the water the keel can't be full of water. You can always drill a hole in it to see if water drains out and then fill it with epoxy or a fancier patch later. The biggest danger if it is wet is freezing, which can really damage it. If it is from the top, you can remove the floor over the keel, dry it out then repair it.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
How much is the nice boat? L25s usually sell for what the motor, sails and trailer are worth. Ranges used to 1000-5000 with no trailer on the low end.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
If the external keel looks good and you didn't pay much-----------grind the stuff down and pour epoxy resin over it and sail it!
Chief

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
If the external keel looks good and you didn't pay much-----------grind the stuff down and pour epoxy resin over it and sail it!
Chief
And keep it on the lake. Don't breathe the dust!