L25 Rigging Question

May 16, 2014
Lancer 25 Seattle
Hi There,

I'm a new lancer owner, and pretty new to sailing as well. I've noticed that my L25 has two forestays - one that connects at the bow (like most sailboats), and one that connects halfway from the mast to the bow. The one that connects halfway from the mast to the bow tends to be a problem when tacking and gybing - the jib / genoa get caught on the stay 95% of the time - making it necessary to have someone up front guiding it during each tack and gybe.

My question is - what does this second stay do? Is it meant to be on the boat? Can I take it down and just use the forestay that runs to the bow? If not, any suggestions on making sailing with it a little smoother?

Thanks!

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Hi There,

I'm a new lancer owner, and pretty new to sailing as well. I've noticed that my L25 has two forestays - one that connects at the bow (like most sailboats), and one that connects halfway from the mast to the bow. The one that connects halfway from the mast to the bow tends to be a problem when tacking and gybing - the jib / genoa get caught on the stay 95% of the time - making it necessary to have someone up front guiding it during each tack and gybe.

My question is - what does this second stay do? Is it meant to be on the boat? Can I take it down and just use the forestay that runs to the bow? If not, any suggestions on making sailing with it a little smoother?

Thanks!
ghoppeh5, are you sure that is a stay and not maybe a topping lift for a spinnaker pole or whisker pole? I have never seen two forestays meeting at the same point.

I believe the L25 is a fractional rig and the stay does not go all the way to the top of the mast. So that "stay" at the top could very well be a halyard and not a stay.

Could you post a photo of the two and tell us the material used for the second "stay"? How is it connected to the bow?

A little more info might help, especially a photo.

Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
Good eventing ghoppeh5. I have a 79 L25, which isn't a fractional rig. Check your sail inventory for a storm sail, which would use the inner forestay and keep the CE further aft. If this is the case you could remove the inner forestay for sailing with the jib and genoa. Is there a "quick disconnect' where the inner forestay connects to the deck? I'd like to see some photos of this connection. Do you also have a third halyard? Also, is yours the 36" draft?

I've been thinking about rigging an inner forestay on my boat for hoisting the storm sail as we can get some big winds on Lake Mojave. Steve

May 16, 2014
Lancer 25 Seattle
Thanks Guys,

I've taken a few photos of the boat and rigging. She's a beauty, but I don't have many details about her due to the roundabout way that she came into my possession. I'm not sure if it would be considered a 3rd halyard or not, but the boat did come with a 3rd line that runs up to the top of the mast - it is external, not internal though. It is entirely possible that I built her incorrectly, but she did have two cable stays that were about the right size to be forestays when I got her. It would be amazing if I only needed the front one - it's such a hassle when the genoa gets caught on that middle forestay every tack!

Thanks again for your help!

Attachments

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Well, it sure looks like a stay with a turnbuckle. I doubt it is needed for normal use and probably could be attached to the base of the mast. I would guess that it was used for a hanked on sail when the jib is furled. I can think of nothing else. It really does not hold up the mast by any means unless you detach the forestay. Even then... I don't know.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I think you can disconnect it with no problem. It is used for an inside additional jib and would be great for wing on wing I would think when on sustained long run. Chief

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
That is definitely a fractional rig, which is a new one on me. My old L25 wasnt. If your forestay, which is likely part of your furler, is sound you can skip the odd inner stay. I truly have never seen one rigged like that and i have looked at plenty of photos.