L-28 Hull "oil canning" on trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2007
-Lancer -28 The Sea Of Cortez
My L-28 sits on it's trailer for 6 months of the year. I have noticed the rear part of the keel and the adjacent hull where the side bunks support it are deforming upward slightly..In other words the back of the keel is being pushed up into the hull.. When in the water, the weight of the keel pulls everything back down where it belongs. I wonder if other owners have noticed this and what (if anything) they have done to correct it..It doesn't seem to hurt anything, but...

Bonzai

Jun 23, 2009
Chris-Craft SailYacht 35 St. Simon's Island, Ga.
Had that problem with the original trailer mine came on and it does seem to cause alot of stress at all the liner/bulkhead/hull connection points. It is improper support. I still have more stress fractures to repair and gel coat work. Fix it now.

Jan 22, 2008
Lancer 28' Shoal Keel Sloop Kettle Falls, WA
My L-28 sits on it's trailer for 6 months of the year. I have noticed the rear part of the keel and the adjacent hull where the side bunks support it are deforming upward slightly..In other words the back of the keel is being pushed up into the hull.. When in the water, the weight of the keel pulls everything back down where it belongs. I wonder if other owners have noticed this and what (if anything) they have done to correct it..It doesn't seem to hurt anything, but...
My L-28 shoal keel is trailered at least 7 months/yr and has been since before I took possession of her 12 yrs ago. Though I haven't seen a lot of cracking, most of the deforming occurs where the side bunks press against the hull. I try to use the front of my keel to carry most of the weight, but it's not a true fix. If I come up w/a good answer, I'll let you know. Hope you'll do the same(?)

One more thing; I need to know more about sailing/wintering in the Sea of Cortez, as I will be spending some time there next winter...Things like how much chop do you experience, severe wind, etc.

Anyway, Fairwinds & following seas,
FullSailDale

Feb 1, 2007
-Lancer -28 The Sea Of Cortez
For trailer sailors, the usual entry point is San Carlos, Sonora..where a full service marina and sheltered harbor are available. San Carlos is just north of Guaymas, a deep-water seaport. Boats staying over a winter season usually cross over to Conception Bay on the Baja side, (80 miles) then gunkhole south down to La Paz, where the winters are very mild.

It is possible to launch at Kino Bay, good concrete ramp, but the facilities are sparse..No sheltered marina or harbor..But then you can cross over to the Baja side by island-hopping. If you live on the West Coast, you can drive down to Bahia de Las Angeles (bay of LA) where there is a concrete ramp but little else... Cunningham's "The Cruising Guide to San Carlos" is a must have book...

Online, there is the sonrisa net for info and weather, also vivasancarlos for a chat forum and other information..

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2010
Lancer 28 Ventura, CA
I had a problem with my L-28 shoal keel, water got in under the floor. This water made the ballast of steel shot swell up 10 to 15%, and made the floor and the side of the keel bulge. I had to cut the part of the floor that you step into all the way open. I found that ballast was made up of steel shot/pellets, and filled poorly with risen so the water made it swell. I used a electric hammer to take the steel out, and replaced the steel with lead bars (2200 Lb.). I filled over the lead with resin to the top of the bars. Made a ¾ ply wood floor and covered it with glass fabric and resin. The lead took much less room. With the space that was left I put in 3 batteries , 7 Gal. water tank, and storage for the spare anchor. Then built back the floor on a wood frame, and glass/resin to the hull wall at the original height. The floor plats of ¾ ply wood can be lifted to service the battiers/tank/storage. I think the steel was a poor call by Lancer, and the lead lets the weight be lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.