Kubota Diesel (on the hard) model ZH600B

Dec 11, 2015
Hunter 25 Plymouth
I need some assistance with my inboard: just bought another boat and want to start the Kubota motor up but can’t find where to place a water hose on the hard for cooling. The original owner did but I didn’t see where on the motor he placed it. Any ideas appreciated, thanks!

Mark

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Folks will need pictures of the engine to be able to comment, Mark. Best way is to put the raw water intake hose into a bucket of water and have a garden hose ready to fill that bucket after the engine starts. The raw water intake hose will be a 1/2" or 5/8" hose that goes from the thru-hull to a strainer then from the strainer to the pump on the engine.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Folks will need pictures of the engine to be able to comment, Mark. Best way is to put the raw water intake hose into a bucket of water and have a garden hose ready to fill that bucket after the engine starts. The raw water intake hose will be a 1/2" or 5/8" hose that goes from the thru-hull to a strainer then from the strainer to the pump on the engine.
This method. It is also the way to winterize the cooling system. It will probably be necessary to add a short length of hose to reach the bucket. This section doesn't need to be expensive marine underwater hose, just reinforced vinyl hose will work. Don't use the reinforced vinyl when the boat is in the water!

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Use the "bucket" method described by kloudie 1 & dlochner. Never put a pressurized water hose directly to the water intake system of your engine........bad things would probably happen.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Winterizing an Engine on the Hard (Thanks to Maine Sail) - NEVER connect a hose to your raw water pump inlet - NEVER!!!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Mark, as others have replied to your post, pictures will help. Our 1991 boat came with a MDKD three cylinder Kubota diesel model Genset. The sea water pump and inlet hose are on the port side of the engine next to the oil filter. The outlet hose that connects to the riser (mixing elbow) is on the starboard side. Once you locate these two hoses, a simple matter of inserting the inlet hose into a bucket of water and ditto the outlet side. You should see a good flow of water going into the outlet bucket once the engine starts and runs. If no flow, shut the engine off and trouble shoot.

Described above is for a cooling encapsulated engine where the system uses a heat exchanger for cooling. Yours may be different by drawing sea water directly into the engine and discharging through a discharge port, absent a heat exchanger.

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
I have what i consider an easier way of feeding in fresh water while on the hard, every fall when i haul i shut engine intake seacock, unscrew the top of the groco filter and stick a hose in the filter and start the engine.
I run fresh water through her for at least 5 minutes then start pouring RV antifreeze into the filter housing to winterize the system. No need to undo any hoses.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I have what i consider an easier way of feeding in fresh water while on the hard, every fall when i haul i shut engine intake seacock, unscrew the top of the groco filter and stick a hose in the filter and start the engine.
I run fresh water through her for at least 5 minutes then start pouring RV antifreeze into the filter housing to winterize the system. No need to undo any hoses.
That is essentially the same thing because you have an open necked strainer. Many folks do not.

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
That is essentially the same thing because you have an open necked strainer. Many folks do not.
Surely every boat has a strainer, otherwise how do you clean out the debris that can build up?

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
These guys have the concept and a product:
Sea Flush
I have one of those. It works great. I put it onto the strainer and just turn a couple of -100 antifreeze gallons upside-down into it with the engine running. Never spills a drop. About 10 min. to winterize the engine fresh water circuit.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I do that too. My AF comes out of the exhaust a bit “frothy” when I do it this way, but I think I am still getting it circulated throughout the engine, water lift, and hoses effectively.

I also have a Groco strainer on my head water intake…so I pour AF in that strainer while someone pumps the pump in Wet bowl mode to thoroughly winterize the head.

Greg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Surely every boat has a strainer, otherwise how do you clean out the debris that can build up?
O’Day 28’s with Universal M12 engines didn’t come with strainers. Any debris just collected in the heat exchanger and had to be cleared from there by removing its end cap. Probably other boats from that vintage that are the same way.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
O’Day 28’s with Universal M12 engines didn’t come with strainers. Any debris just collected in the heat exchanger and had to be cleared from there by removing its end cap. Probably other boats from that vintage that are the same way.
Well, that wasn't a better idea. :facepalm: