Knot meter paddle wheel

abinkc

Sep 29, 2008
Hunter 30T Grand Lake
I'm told you can remove it from the inside on a Hunter 30 ('90). How do you do that?

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Depends on what make it is? Most of the Ray ones can be removed to the inside, there is a plug that goes in it's place to stop the adjacent water from trying to find it's own level. You gotta be fast, and even so, some is still coming in....

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
It's scary the first time you do it, but if you have the plug in one hand lined up and ready to insert while you pull the ducer with the other hand, not that much water comes in. Just don't drop the plug!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Get the owner's manual for your particular unit... it will show you what to do. If you're lucky you'll have the model that has a flap in the housing that restricts water intake. Otherwise... move quickly!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I have gotten quite good at this and my trick is this: Being right handed my first thought was to remove the transducer with my right hand and install the plug with my left, but I found out that doing it just the other way worked much better, since I could insert the plug more quickly and cleanly with my right hand, greatly reducing the intrusion of water from that big hole. Our transducer is below the wall in the V berth. We have a lower drawer there, which came from the galley because our PO had installed a microwave oven below the galley sink. Great access makes a big difference.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Airmar makes most all of the transducers for the marine environment. Ditto our 1991 speed meter by Autohelm, now Raymarine.

Why do you want to remove it? I've found that if it is not working, I loosen the retainer enough to raise the transducer, wiggle it some to dislodge any marine growth and reset. That seems to work in most cases. If not, I have removed it completely, clean and replace it. As mentioned above, a bit disconcerting the first time.

I always apply some Desitin to the impeller blades before replacing to help keep marine life from growing.