Knocking in rudder post

Apr 7, 2016
Beneteau First 305 Seward, Alaska
so... I’m still figuring out my new boat. All my steering cables are tight. My rudder post packing isn’t leaking. My rudder post isn’t leaking. But, when I am out on the water, I can hear some knocking and this is the only thing I could find. My previous boat was a tiller, so I’m still new to wheels. Let me know if this is anything I should be worried about. Any constructive suggestions are welcomed.

Attachments

Apr 7, 2016
Well, I can’t get the video to load. This is the only thing knocking. It isn’t major but it is enough I can hear it while under sail.

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The file won't show up in the post, but it can be downloaded and viewed, at least on a Mac. Was it shot with an iPhone?

The knocking sounds like a worn or loose rudder bearing.

Apr 7, 2016
The file won't show up in the post, but it can be downloaded and viewed, at least on a Mac. Was it shot with an iPhone?

The knocking sounds like a worn or loose rudder bearing.
Yeah shot on my iPhone.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
upper rudder bearing ,machined a new one for my boat. On my boat its made out of delrin ,like a top hat ,so it's also a thrust bearing. Lower bearing is bronze

Apr 7, 2016
upper rudder bearing ,machined a new one for my boat. On my boat its made out of delrin ,like a top hat ,so it's also a thrust bearing. Lower bearing is bronze
Cool thanks. I have some time to do some research and get some quotes. I’m not planning on pulling it out of the water for a couple years yet. Would that be fine? It doesn’t seem like it is an emergency.