Knapps Narrows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2004
Hunter Passage 420 Rock Hall, MD
Has anyone used Knapps Narrows this season? What conditions did you find?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I went through both ways last weekend and saw good depth, but what do you draw. I'm thinking we saw 8+ all the way. The marks seemed to be in a good place.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I have been through there before. It is a very cool trip but it has been a few years.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
The Narrows seem to be in good shape. I suggest hailing the bridge tender and requesting an opening before you enter the narrows. Remember that the tides can be strong at the bridge.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...I suggest hailing the bridge tender and requesting an opening before you enter the narrows.
I'd counter that, Warren. My first mate wanted to call on the phone on both transits, but I said to just wait. Last week there were 2 boats in front of, and behind, my boat. 2 of them called the bridge, and the operator seemed less than thrilled they had done so. I suggest if you are within sight of the bridge, he knows you're coming, and will open. If not, give a long toot then a short to get his attention. And he's on channel 13.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Ron: I guess we have had different experiences transiting the Narrows. I've never had a problem hailing the bridge tender on VHF as I am entering the Narrows. What I would not like to find is a traffic jam of boats at or near the bridge, a 2-4 kt tide moving through there, and the bridge not opening = no where to go. Whatever works, works.

Oct 3, 2008
Beneteau 393 Chesapeake Bay
... called the bridge, and the operator seemed less than thrilled they had done so.
Sometimes bridge operators are very friendly and helpful and other times not so much. However, don't worry about them. If you have questions or requests, hail them on the designated channel. However, to give you a heads up, monitor the channel for other boaters' questions and answers in advance of hailing for your needs.

MrBee

Dec 30, 2008
Irwin 34 Citation Middle River, Md.
"Hailing" should be the expected method of contact. "Calling" as in with a cell phone I guess could give some operators an bit of an attitude. On the water = VHF when possible.
We went through last June, the only boat at the time and he seemed very pleasant to talk with. I Hailed the bridge as soon as i was able to see it.

MrBee

Status
Not open for further replies.