kids And Sailing

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
A topic CB32863 titled "how to grow a sport' caught my attention and made me think of a event I'd long forgotten, which involved Shoreline YC in Long Beach, Ca

Shoreline YC present location was just a dream at that time. Myself and the future commodore Tom Heron (Tom wrote the intro in my book THE SAIL TRIM USERS GUIDE) were good friends and his boat was docked across from mine.

Together we wanted to get more folks interested in the sport of sailing and we were constantly thinking of ways to do so. We wanted to expand the club, which at that time was located on a second floor above a restaurant;

One day Tom suggested we provide boats and contact some inner city schools in Long Beach to see if there would be any interest in their students learning to sail. My first thought was what an interesting idea but felt it will never work. My idea was not going to be just a boat ride in Long Beach harbor - these kids (if any were interested) were going to actually sail the boat. We developed a sail trim lesson plan. The students would have to attend 4 one hour lessons after school. We then contacted a couple of schools. Unfortunately, I can't remember the school names. The school principles liked the idea. On the day of the first class I had misgivings and thought we'd be lucky to see 5 kids - over 40 boys and girls showed up - we needed more boats!! I've conducted a number of sail trim seminars from Ventura to San Diego and never was I more challenged about the concepts of sail trim then with these kids. Usually I can skate through these seminars as I've heard just about every sail trim question a sailor could ask but this day was a struggle - these kids forced me to be at the top of my game. It was unbelievable how fast they picked up on the concepts. They forced me to pick up the pace and turned out we only needed 3 lessons - they were into it and the lessons always went beyond one hour because they didn't want to leave.

Then came the sailing day, which turned up to be perfect and unusual for long Beach - about 5 knots of wind. These kids handled the boats like they've been sailing for years. They worked together and operated as a team.

I don't know how many of them every got into sailing after graduation. That wasn't important to me. What was important was that they learned a new sport and applied subjects they learned in schools to what they were doing. Turned out later the school principles pull a fast one on us - most of these inner city boys and girls were in gifted student programs (what they called it in those days). I'm sure they felt the old guy teaching sure is slow!! I had the feeling these kids were thinking way ahead of me.

It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Very cool.

Clarify.. the kids were disadvantaged gifted ones ?

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Love the story. I've always thought sailing would go very well in a science class. A hands-on applied scientific lessen series that could carry through many levels of a physics text book.

-Will

May 17, 2004
There were 2 parts to this story.

The first was that highly intelligent boys & girls can learn to sail a boat efficiently in 3 hours. 50% of the sailors worldwide who have owned boats for many years still haven't mastered the art.

Second was sometimes I forget to explain myself (gifted) and think that folks automatically know what I'm talking about so "here's the rest of the story" - I forget what radio announcer used to say that.

The Long Beach school department in those years developed a "gifted student program" in their inner city. Highly intelligent boys & girls were identified in their early years of school and placed in special accelerated programs and pushed to expand their minds and the kids exceeded all expectations. As they reached each level they were pushed further and the kids ate it up. 95% or higher of these boys & girls went to college or highly specialized trade schools. They were given a chance their parents never had. Their parents, because of their financial situation, could not afford to provide this type of education for their children. These day money is thrown to fix a situation instead of actually doing something as the Long Beach school district did. All these kids, or any kids, needed was an opportunity. I don't think the program exists anymore, which is a crying shame. It ain't the America I knew and I sure do miss it.

Most times I singlehanded the boat - my wife was with me but she had no interest in trimming sails so I invited some of these kids - and their parents - to go sailing. I got to really know these folks and visited their home and they visited mine. I love those people and wish I could go back to those times.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It sounds like a great program that worked to well.

There are some of those programs across the country. They, unfortunately, are not viewed as consistent with traditional fundamental education for all curriculums that are being funded. I believe the challenge is that when they work they produce positive results. Then everyone wants to participate. They ask for more funds to expand the program. Then as they expand some feel the program is too tough. As some students who are not able to achieve in the program the leaders siphon off funding to support a second tier system. The program spirals downwards.

Not everyone can be a surgeon. We need plumbers.

Let’s pray that the visionaries can see the value that the program you described and give another chance.

May 17, 2004
@Will Gilmore ,

A person could probably build almost an entire curriculum around sailing: physics, math, chemistry (up to a point), geography, history, art & music, physical education (dinghies; sailboards; kite boards), literature. English class would be particularly amusing.

Tedd: You're right and because these kids were very proficient in those subjects, especially English (that's how we communicate) the concept of how a sailboat functions was easy for them to understand. It was a challenge for me to deal with them. For example, I'd explain WHAT the traveler or fairleads are adjusting and they'd look at each other and me as if to say OK we get it so pick up the pace and what's next!!

The girls picked it up faster than the boys and the girls were brutal with the guy who didn't get it instantly. Additionally, this group looked like the United Nations and NEVER did race rear it's head.

They were a very appreciative group. I gave all of them sailing gloves and you'd have thought I'd given them a million dollars and plus they wanted to pay me for them. Try as I would I could never get them to call me Don - it was always Mr. & Mrs. Guillette. They all had excellent home training.

At all my seminars, including with these kids, I had a full size scale model of the Endeavor America Cup boat where all the controls worked. Sometimes they'd gather around the model and use the controls to watch what happened to the sails. At those times, I wondered why am I here - I could have given them the model and they would have figured it out for themselves.

May 17, 2004
One last point about the gloves. In those days everyone got involved in a good cause. When I was buying the gloves at West Marine the manager asked me what I was doing with all the gloves. When I told him he gave them to me. With that in mind, I next went to BoatUS and explained the same thing to that manager and told her what West Marine had done - she gave me more gloves!!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
At those times, I wondered why am I here - I could have given them the model and they would have figured it out for themselves.
Having been in a master's program for education, I've had many conversations around how to parse out a teacher's time for those "gifted" kids in a system struggling to also help the learning disabled. As someone who was enrolled in both the Learning Disabilities program and the Enhanced Learners programs in elementary school at the same time, back in early days of such programs in the 70s, my response has usually been, just give those "gifted" kids access to the resources and the freedom to explore, spend your time with the kids that need the extra help.

As JS points out, not everyone can rise to the same heights and we, as a society, need menial laborers as well. Imagine a school program that is so effective that everyone who comes out of it has the skills and abilities to be a brain surgeon or a rocket scientist. But, the garbage needs to be taken out and the gardens need to be tended, as well. Wouldn't those to whom these kinds of jobs fell to, be thoroughly dissatisfied with their lives if they were as well prepared for advanced technical careers as the people who were surgeons and scientists?

Lucky for all, there is room for every person, no matter their relative abilities, in our world.

-Will

Nov 24, 2020
O'Day Widgeon, O'Day 20, and O'Day Daysailer Paris Landing Marina, Paris, T
Interesting and kudos to you. I currently teach agriculture classes at Austin Peay State University but during the 2018/2019 school year I had the pleasure of teaching biology at Middle College High School in Memphis, TN. Many of the children I taught there had never been out of the City of Memphis and many were from inner city homes. Although MCHS was not a gifted program the school regularly produces graduates that perform as if they were gifted. This type of program would be excellent at a school like MCHS. Ms. Kimberly Rodriguez was the principal at the time. She may have a doctorate now, but she was the most able principal I have ever met.