"Kicking tires".

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stig Lundberg

Hello. We have kayaked the Sea of Cortez extensively and are getting tired of it both physically and mentally. Therefore; read below. I and my wife are seriously considering purchasing a new 26M that we would bring down to our second home here in Mulege, next October. We are planning to cruise the Sea of Cortez with its many islands, coves and beaches. The Cortez is a gentle body of water with calm evenings and nights, -(no wind at all). Afternoons can be a bit windy at times. The climate is also very pleasant and the water is warm all year. Our excursions would be four nights at the most. In addition, our home port, located in Rio de Mulege is not a river as much as a muddy shallow estuary. Hence shallow draft is of primary importance. Do you all consider the 26M a good choise? Thanks for your interest. Stig Lundberg Valley Center, California.

R

richard

great choice, FOR THE MONEY.

I have a 26s and have been all over the florida south carolina and north carolina fresh and salt water. I am very happy with my boat; but I don't stray too far from shore with it and, if money was not a constraint I can think about some other boats I would rather have...

S

Stig Lundberg

Thanks for the rapid response.

Richard. Thank You for that. The Cortez is about 80 miles wide at the most. We would always have land in sight. In some places there is only a few miles, if that, between the islands and anchorages. If money would not be an issue, which boat would you choose? Stig

R

richard

Only been sailing for two years

so I am not the best person to give advice on this. I don't have alot of knowledge on specific boats, but I do know in general what kind of boat I would want. Something that is kinda a hybrid between a racer and a cruiser, and between a thin water boat and blue water boat. I read an article on thin water cruising in sailing magazine about a year ago...they had alot of neat boats that sailed well, but could reduce their draft to 2-3 feet allowing them to hit the beach (I really like that feature of the mac) where you can just hop off onto land instead of anchoring out. I probably wouldn't want a boat larger than 37 feet and would want to be able to sail single-handed. Maybe some other peole know of some well built boats that fiot these criteria? That is one thing about the mac as well, though I feel safe, I wouldn't mind a thicker hull and more durable deck gear, etc. The article below is kinda something like I would start to look at.

R

richard

also heard good things about this boat...

http://www.sailnet.com/sailing/00/btjuly00.htm

Jun 17, 2005
- - Kemah, Texas
The Mac is a good choice...

Ive owned a Mac 26S, and now a Mac 26X. Both real nice boats. You wont be disappointed with a MacM...the Mac is great for two folks overnighting, weekly trips, etc. They have a great ability to travel shallows...and with the option of a big engine, the Mac is a good choice.

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 26M Delta, B.C. Canada 26M not X
It is a Sailboat/powerboat

You say the Cortez is a gentle body of water with calm evenings and nights (no winds) although it can get a bit windy in the afternoons. Is it really a sailboat you need or would some variation of a powerboat work. You need wind for a sailboat, given that the MacGregor 26M is a hybrid with a large interior cabin it may be the answer,(be sure to get the Genoa headsail). With a 50hp or higher engine and shallow draft it may very well suit your needs, as for being beachable, unless you are on a freshwater body forget it, there are tides to contend with, not to mention, not every peice of land has a sandy shore, some have rocky shores so you will still need to anchor out and dinghy in. For exploring smaller places bring along a smaller craft with your Mac. The Mac is a great choice for inland lakes and protected coastal waters, it is affordable, very versatile and trailerable.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
mexico fuel?

I think the M (or X) would be a excellent choice for the boating you describe. the only issue should be quality of fuel.... (I'd check with the engine shops on mexico fuel, and filter it). I also have a classic 26, so I'm not the best on powersailers... lastly, check the ramps where you will launch, are they steep (enough)? depending on how often you launch, it could be a big deal. not sure you can use a forklift to launch a X or M. sling / hoist should be ok.

S

Stig Lundberg

Reply to all

Thank You all. This is a really great forum. Richard, You mentioned the ability to go in to shallow water and i think that is one of the most important issues for us. You also touched on the hull thickness. Is that a problem the way You see it? Yes, capt. Kermie. We plan on a genoa with ruller furling, good point. Mr. Bill mentioned launching facilities. They are very good here at the Oasis. Gasoline filtering has improved over the last couple of years down here. I no longer filter the gas for my fishing boat and hasn't run in to any fuel related problems in the last two years. Thanks for the heads-up. Good to read what Louis Holum had to say, about the Mac26M especially after receiving a real put-down from a few "blue water" snobs that can't think outside their own narrow envelope. Of course i know that the 26M is a compromise. But what is new? Every boat is a compromise. At my age, (74) i am willing to give up some speed for a bit of comfort. I am not looking to set any records. I just like to go out and anchor in some cove for a few nights. Take a swim, enjoy the sunset and sunrise while having breakfast in reasonable comfort. Thanks to all for your valuable insight. Stig.

Status
Not open for further replies.