Key West activities.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Sue & I have 3 nights booked in Key West in February. Always interested in suggestions for water-based activities, not necessarily sailing unless we can rent a beach cat perhaps. Thinking about kayak excursion if worthwhile.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
There is a ferry that goes out to the Dry Tortugas from Key West. Water so clear that it looks like you're floating on air.
There are several sundown cruises that sail past Mallory Square. Think tourists who shouldn't be on a boat. LOL
I didn't look for Kayak rentals when I was there but it is a 2 mile paddle across the channel to the islets of Key West National Wildlife Refuge.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
A kayak excursion sounds great. I would also strongly recommend renting bicycles for a day or so. You will see much more of Key West, up close and personal.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
check out key lime sailing club , right on the waters of buttonwood bay in islamorada. we've stayed there a number of times. each fishing shack comes w a free catalina 22 and all the water toys - paddle boards, 1P 2-P kayaks-- you could want. reasonable rates, little apartments, and a great funky place to stay. on thursdays you go out on paul's big catamaran for sunset cruise, no extra charge. we love it. best food is : mrs. mac's funky diner, in walking distance.. pets welcome too !

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When we were in Key West DEC 2020, the America II was running sunset cruises with an all female crew.
They were in the Marina on the North West end of the town.
1CB672CD-C6D5-42BC-B0A6-13FE9001D996.jpeg

@dLj got to take his picture with the Wahlberg brothers.
4EA1FFF7-DAD5-4050-A47F-10BFBB359B71.jpeg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I was disappointed as well.
Stop in the local dive shop and get information about the local reef. The water is clear, it is close and the snorkeling is spectacular. There are a couple of unpopulated spoil islands just off the north west shore that makes for great picnicking. I've taken my hobie 18 out there a few times for the sailing, the snorkeling and the picnicking. Don't miss the Sunset Festival every evening.

-Will

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
There is a ferry that goes out to the Dry Tortugas from Key West. Water so clear that it looks like you're floating on air.
I had that in mind, but my thought is that I would prefer to make that trip for the first time on my own sailboat when the time comes.

Oct 22, 2014
On the dock near the road end, there was a fun bar with live music, good beer and food. Funky and outdoor sitting.
Access from the road or the marina boardwalk.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
A great place to eat a number of years ago was the Hogfish Cafe on Stock Island.

Oct 22, 2014
The place I mentioned.
Schooner Wharf Bar
A37EC687-8025-424D-8022-B861BB2B7F12.png

That is America II on the pier.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
What I remember:

Drink
Take your picture at the Southernmost Tourist Photo Op
Drink
Walk down Duvall street and gawk at the natives
Drink
Sloppy Joes
Drink
Drink
Hemingway's house, Picture with a six toed cat
Drink

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Mel Fisher's museum is interesting. Not high tech; however, learning about salvaging the Atocha was worth the time and $. You can even purchase real coins from the wreck. Don't forget to find a Cuban restaurant and try some of the Cuban food offerings.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
See if you can catch a chicken. You get to take it home with you if you do.

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
1. Several years ago and Seven Fish restaurant was very good.
2. Take picture at 0.0 Route 1 miles sign.
3. Garden of Eden rooftop bar. (Was down there for Fantasy Fest a couple of times).
4. Drink as others have said.
5. If you did not drive to Key West from the mainland, I would rent a car or scooters and drive the route. It is a beautiful trip everyone
should do.....once.
6. Key West Key Lime Pie Company for pie.