Key Buzzer Doesn't Buzz

Aug 21, 2019
Catalina 315 18 Grosse Pointe Park, MI
On my C315, for some reason, the buzzer that usually buzzes when the key is turned, but before the engine starts, does not buzz. The Yanmar 3YM20 still starts up fine. The buzzer is also silent when the engine is shutdown, but before the key is turned off. Could it simply be a broken buzzer or is the boat trying to tell me something?

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
The oil pressure switch could be bad. You can put a voltmeter across the buzzer posts where you expect change of voltage and see if the voltage changes when you turn the ignition key.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Following Dave’s advise will likely resolve your problem. Loss of ground is often the usual suspect.

We are assuming you have not been doing any engine or electrical work and maybe left the buzzer unplugged so it would stop buzzing in your ear...:facepalm:

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Connections are the key. I imagine you have a Yanmar so things will be a little difference, but on the Universals they use push on connectors that come loose or get spalling. My buzzer was always a little flaky (sometimes it works, sometimes it didn't or would sound really wimpy). On my 310 the fuel pump power is part of the buzzer circuit so even though the pump worked the connection was crappy enough that the buzzer would not work well.

Aug 21, 2019
This has been very helpful. Actually, it happened after I changed the oil. The oil filter is a difficult reach, hard to see and engage with the wrench. Took me quite a bit to get it off. After reading comments here, I checked a diagram of the engine and found that the oil sensor is just behind the oil filter. I am thinking that I knocked off the connector as I was struggling with the oil filter. Hopefully I did not break it and I can reach it to reconnect it.

Thank you all, this has been extremely useful information!

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Try to obtain a schematic of the control panel/engine wiring. On the 310s the fuel pump provides the ground for the circuit before it is activated.

Aug 21, 2019
Actually, it is fixed, thanks to the input I received here. It really would not have occured to me that a disconnected oil sender would cause the buzzer at the pedestal to stop working. It turns out that I did accidentally disconnect it when I was struggling with the oil filter. Today, after I reconnected the wire, the buzzer started working again.

Thank you!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is a sailboat miracle. :biggrin:
Now may the wind gods give you pleasant breezes this summer.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
It turns out that I did accidentally disconnect it when I was struggling with the oil filter. Today, after I reconnected the wire, the buzzer started working again./QUOTE]

"We have met the enemy and he is us". Pogo