Keeping sails clean from Mayflies

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
With the impending hatch of Mayflies on the Mississippi how do you keep them from staining your sails? Every year the little buggers land on my sail during a beautiful day and leave little stains that are hard to remove. This year I have new sails and I really don't want them all stained up in their first session. So what do you do?

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
I've never noticed any problems with mayflies on our sails, and we get plenty. Does the issue happen when you're sailing or just at the dock? When we're at the dock our sails are furled or covered.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I've never noticed any problems with mayflies on our sails, and we get plenty. Does the issue happen when you're sailing or just at the dock? When we're at the dock our sails are furled or covered.
Usually sailing on a low wind day. It always seems to work out that I hit the river just after the start of the hatch. They seem to leave little marks on the sail when I tack or if they get slightly pinched when lowering the sail because they don't just fly off.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Get BLACK sails! ;-)
IMG_4707-crop.JPG

But is IS time to get ready for the buggers. We get them on 'Tonka as well. I find that giving the sail(s) a good shake helps. Grab the sheet and shake violently for a few seconds.

If there is a silver lining, their appearance is a sign of healthy water.