Keeping head door open

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
I'm looking for a way to keep the head door open. We've got two pad trained dogs, and I'd like to be able to leave them below with a pad on the head floor. Running a line from the door handle works, but makes sitting at the table awkward. I was thinking of putting a latch hook from the teak wall to the top of the door, but maybe one of you have come up with an elegant solution.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
My PO had done exactly that, a latch hook on bulkhead to door (or maybe that came from Hunter?).. Position hook and eye carefully so that there is just a smidge of tension when you engage the hook so that you don't have to listen to the door bumping on the hook as the boat rolls at anchor. Works great

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
my bot is not a catalina, but I like to leave the head door open during freezing temps and we are not at the boat.... I have a small eye bolt on the other side of the aisle, with a loop of 1/8" shock cord tied thru it....
I open the door to the head all the way, then slip the loop of shock cord over the door handle to keep it open and without banging when the boat rolls.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We stuff a towel or sponge behind the door for the same reason.

All U Get

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
marinepartdepot has a nice ss holder for $17. It consists of a short spring loaded post with a latch that holds the door open and prevents rattles. A simple finger push on the latch releases it. I have one and it works well.

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
We must be major old school or cheap (sailors)
We use one of the badge type neck lanyards that they hand out at trade shows. Our's has something akin to a cheap alligator clip for hooking on your ID badge.
To use we clip the clip to the back of the cushion in the main salon, open the door and hook the cord over the inside door handle. It is pulled pretty tight, and the cushion provides a stop point so it does not rattle or bang...
Cost $0
Installation time: 15 seconds
Effectiveness: 100%

Russ
s/v Long Story

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
my bot is not a catalina, but I like to leave the head door open during freezing temps and we are not at the boat.... I have a small eye bolt on the other side of the aisle, with a loop of 1/8" shock cord tied thru it....
I open the door to the head all the way, then slip the loop of shock cord over the door handle to keep it open and without banging when the boat rolls.
Rob,

I do something similar. I take one of the long sail ties and loop it through the split rail on the port side shelf (next to the cabinet) and loop the other side around the interior handle on the head door. I close the door when underway so there is never any stress on the door or the shelf rail. Just as Centerline does, I only keep the door open when not on board to keep air circulating.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Rob,

I do something similar. I take one of the long sail ties and loop it through the split rail on the port side shelf (next to the cabinet) and loop the other side around the interior handle on the head door. I close the door when underway so there is never any stress on the door or the shelf rail. Just as Centerline does, I only keep the door open when not on board to keep air circulating.
That's what I've been doing, but my wife complained about the line running across the seating. I think a hook at the top of the door will work fine, especially if it's got some padding to keep it from vibrating.

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
I think this baby should do it, and just $550 plus shipping.

upload_2016-2-29_19-42-45.png

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
My C-310 came with what I thought were OEM hook and ring for both the door to the head and the door to the forward berth. I will take a picture when I go to the boat later this week.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
We ran some shock cord from one of the bulkhead screws near the ceiling and connect it to a clothes hook on the inside of the door. Works well and cost maybe $0.25.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
On my 1983 H31 the head door is also the v-berth door you can lock it closed on the head or swing it open and lock it closed on the V-berth. However this makes you choose between privacy in the head or privacy in the V-berth LOL

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
Pat, we hung a curtain pulling from port to starboard across the entry to the V-Berth to use when we needed some privacy for both areas. It ties back completely out of the way.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
What I'd like to have is one of those "vacant/occupied" thingies like on airplane bathroom doors.

Mar 20, 2012
What I'd like to have is one of those "vacant/occupied" thingies like on airplane bathroom doors.
if you are serious, it is very quick, easy, and inexpensive (less than $15) to make an indicator... a very small motion sensor in the head, wired to a small red light outside above the head door.... you can tell if the head is occupied/unoccupied by looking down the companionway..

but the little dial on the door lock that you were probably hoping for is not so cheap or easy, and you would still have to walk to the door to see it:biggrin:

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="...... a very small motion sensor in the head, ...:biggrin:[/QUOTE]

I can think of a few non-human things that would swing in the breeze and set it off. People just will not lock the door. Sometimes it's not that bad, but when the 80-plus year-old lady is sitting down. Well... I won't say, and you need not picture it.

Mar 20, 2012
I can think of a few non-human things that would swing in the breeze and set it off. People just will not lock the door. Sometimes it's not that bad, but when the 80-plus year-old lady is sitting down. Well... I won't say, and you need not picture it.

one should use a passive infrared motion sensor (which is the most common type) that detects body heat, rather than a microwave type...