Keep the Precision-23 or buy the O'day 26?

Gene

Sep 17, 2009
Precision 23 Moraine
I've owned the 1990 Precision 23 for 8 years and like the boat. It's in great shape, always stored indoors. My wife and I use it most weekends and sleep fairly comfortably on it. I built a pull out addition for the port settee which works very well for me. Wifey is in the v-berth. Now, a friend of mine is thinking of selling his 1985 O'day 26 also in great shape and always stored indoors. Hence, my quandary. I've always admired the O'day (bigger boat, I thought). I thought the O'day 26 had standing headroom (the Precision does not). If the O'day doesn't have standing headroom I don't know if the move to the O'day will be worth it. Please, give me some opinions on the advantages and disadvantages. I don't trailer sail. I'm on a dock on an very large inland lake and only pull the boat to storage, an hour away, with my 6 cylinder 4runner (5,500 towing cap.).

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
IMO, if headroom is the make or break requirement then you'll know when you see it. The 26 will definitely be roomier and more stable if that's of value to you. I can't help but think you'd really appreciate the extra space as much as you stay over on your boat.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The first time I moved up, I was shocked at how much more interior room a few extra feet makes. However if you think about it, you have an extra foot of beam and an extra foot of freeboard multiplied by 26 feet of length and you end up 26 cubic feet more volume in the boat, plus the total volume of the extra three feet of length. That is a lot more space.... space for a real galley and a real head and a few other niceties.

I would normally ask how you plan to use the boat etc. but you already have that sorted out, and since you don't trailer, it sounds to me like you would really enjoy the 26.

Besides, you probably already came to that conclusion and just want us to tell you it is the right move.... ;):dancing:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There are 2 factors to consider, how much room you would like to have while on the boat and how well the boat sails.

The O'Day 26 will have more room than the Precision 23.

The Precision 23 may be a better sailing boat. It was designed by Jim Taylor who has a reputation for designing quick comfortable boats. http://tayloryachtdesigns.com

My boat is a Taylor design, it is a delight sail. Quick, stable, easily driven in light winds.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Myself, being more of a performance/racing guy, would keep the Precision 23 because of its handling characteristics and overall PHRF rating which is higher than that of the O'day 26. However, it sounds to me like you're more interested in cruising than racing, and if that's the case, then I'd say go for it! I've actually seen O'days fly spinnakers in cruising class races, and they seem to do pretty well. I personally would not sail the 26 in winds over 20 knots, as the keel is a shallow shoal keel and the boat would probably not balance very well in such force gales. Shoal keels are nice for cruising because they allow you to sail in shallower water where most keelboats can't, but you also sacrifice performance for this convenience.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello Gene,

Eazy-Peezy……..Ask your friend to allow you to use the Oday 26 for a daysail or perhaps an overnight stay. An overnight (even at the dock) would answer soooooo many of your questions. A daysail with the owner aboard would also answer many of your boat performance questions and be a good pre-purchase trial of the boat.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I'd probably keep the 23, and I own a O'day 25. I actually had my heart set on a Precision 23 until I found my 25 locally. The 26 is less beam, and the SA/Disp is less also. In fact technically the 25 is better SA/Disp then the 26. You are not getting standup head room either. If you really want more room and comfort, keep looking for something in a 30+, that is what I'm doing and since I'm happy with my 25 I'm going to wait to find the right next upgrade.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello Gene,

(My extra $0.02) If you are looking to buy a larger boat you might consider an Oday 272. The 272 LE model(which we owned) does have stand-up headroom, a galley, a marine head, outboard hung rudder, wing keel, wheel steering, is trailerable at 5200 pounds, and has a V berth with a closure. If you do not want an inboard engine (Westerbeke 10 hp.....which was a dependable and usable diesel for that boat) choose the 272 that is outboard powered. It probably is tiller steered, but we never sailed one. When we first bought our 272 LE we thought she was rather tender, but as we learned to sail her more skillfully we loved her "get up and go". Over the years (more than I like to admit) we have owned many Oday sailboats: Oday 30, Oday 34, Oday 272LE, and borrowed an Oday Mariner. The Mariner was the only one we did not really enjoy due to its very low cockpit seating. Best Wishes during your search.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I don't think I would be happy going to a boat that won't point as well. It would be frustrating to me. But people buy boats for different reasons. It comes down to how you use the boat.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Hello Gene,

(My extra $0.02) If you are looking to buy a larger boat you might consider an Oday 272. The 272 LE model(which we owned) does have stand-up headroom, a galley, a marine head, outboard hung rudder, wing keel, wheel steering, is trailerable at 5200 pounds, and has a V berth with a closure.
A solid choice. There is one for sale (with the diesel) just down the street from me. Needs a boat trailer or bed trailer to sit the cradle on. But at $5000, they are pretty much paying you to take it.

http://www.hoopersyachts.com/Index.cfm?PageID=11&usedboatid=2620

Gene

Sep 17, 2009
Precision 23 Moraine
Thanks to everyone's reply. I do enjoy my P-23 and have just raced it for the first time. It was quick around the course but, the S2's were quicker. Previously, I raced/crewed on another boat. Truly, the only reason I've considered the O'day 26 is I thought I'd gain headroom and the O'day is in fantastic shape. The headroom is marginally better in the O'day but, not as much as I suspected. And, moving forward and around in the cabin I'd still need to stoop. The O'day V-berth is more troublesome to crawl into than the P-23! The "doorway" into the O'days V-berth requires more gymnastics than the open plan on the P-23. I've sailed on an O'day 25 and enjoyed it but, the Precision seems to me to be a more "nimble" boat. I also would probably need to upgrade my tow vehicle. I currently tow the P-23 with my 6 cylinder 4Runner. Thanks again for all your helpful replys.