Keelboat trailer help

• Thread starter Hunter Quistgard
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hunter Quistgard

Fixed keel '71 Catalina 22. Just acquired and want to move the boat with seasons. Have no trailer. Is it worth it? How do I find a trailer? What are the difficulties of launch and recovery? Can other trailers be retrofit for high load fixed keel? Bring me in from out of the woods.

I

IKE ENRIQUEZ

KEEL BOAT TRAILER

Hunter, I just bought a fixed keel, ODay 22 about 4weeks ago. It is on a trailer. My draft is 2feet. I lauched it last week on a public launch ramp with no problem. I did not even use the extension for the trailer. I guess it depends on what the draft is on your boat.

T

Tommy Palmer

Trailer for a Pearson Ariel 26'

I've been wondering about a trailer for my Ariel. Its got a 3'8'' draft and is heavy 5-6000 lbs by modern standards. Do you think the trailer used for this catalina 22 would work for the Pearson?

T

Ted

Get out your checkbook . . .

the trailer may cost more than the boat. Sailboat trailers (used) are hard to find, and therefore a bit expensive. Most trailers that are set up for a fixed keel should have some ability to adjust the pads. You should look for one that can be adjusted. Most trailers for Catalina 22's are made by Trail-Rite (Santa Ana, CA). Most of the trailers for C22's are set up for the swing keel. The fixed keel model is a rarity. I would just start going through local Want Ad listings and the like to see if you find something. Good luck, Ted

F

fox

modify a power boat trailer

An easy way to get a trailer is to find a used power boat/bass boat trailer and modify it. Since you have a fixed keel you could get 6 pads on the trailer to support the boat. The axle on most trailers can be adjusted to get the boat and tongue weight correct. Search the internet for photos.

D

Dick of Sylvan

Check Santana

You might want to check out the trailers used in new Santana 20's. They are designed for fixed keels, and they have a real neat arrangement for a wheel up near the tongue that lowers easily for launching. The probably are pricey, but would at least be a good model if you were to take on the task of modifying a power-boat trailer. I see them at Lake Pleasant in AZ, and suspect you could find info on the Google search engine. Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.