Keel

Aug 15, 2011
Hunter 45 Legend Holland
Had a great day sailing near Big Bay De Nok Michigan, only to come to a hard stop at 7.5 knots. 3 hard hits and 2 minor. After getting my self off the floor and wife checked making sure we were safely floating. Started looking for leaks, non found boat seemed secure rudder felt happy. I called Coast Guard of my intentions to get to a safe Harbor 21 miles away. A very long 3 hours, arraignments had been made to pull the boat but because it was late and dark we slipped for the night. The next day we pulled the boat it looked surprisingly good. But stress cracks were present. And on the interior you can see where the hull was pushed up in the center throughout boat. We will be waiting for the insurance company to contact us next week and then start doing a deep of surveying of it. I'm very impressed with taking that kind of a blow and still floating.

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Get a surveyor out there ASAP. Your boat is likely damaged in places you might not see. You're going to need someone to be an agent for you in the upcoming fight with the INSCO. I'd almost guarantee that you have tabbing of bulkheads and keel pan that has broken. The keel moved so you have to drop it and possibly have fiberglass repair before re-bedding the keel. Not leaking is a good thing but it's only the first thing.
Also make sure the facility you are at is EXPERT in fiberglass repairs and removes keels as a regular thing. If not assess and document the damage and move the boat (Either in the water or overland) to a place that can do the repairs.

Aug 15, 2011
Hunter 45 Legend Holland
Totally agree I have State Farm and they have been very agreeable to work with. My guess the boat has to come apart to see the stringer assemble to Hull it has to be separated

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Yeah, as the boat is opened for repairs more damage will likely be revealed. In my case, the insurance claim was a kind of open check. The adjuster had to up the claim several times. But the yard had to push him for it (Again that's why you need a expert yard that won't cut corners). One thing on your side is the INSCO doesn't want an unsafe repair on their backs.
You need some more mud up there to ground on. So much easier.

Aug 15, 2011
Hunter 45 Legend Holland
Have Morman and son a Survey out of Detriot , mi thats going to Infrared the boat both Father and son are fimiliar with the construction Hunter sail boats. Mast will have to be pulled and boat set on Jack stands when completed we will get a detailed discription of the damage and where to start the repairs