Keel wrap -- or -- The perfect figure eight

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I took my brother sailing last week. I've owned my boat for 6 years and he had never seen it. We were able to find a good area without whitecaps and I was itching to fly my spinnaker for him. Rigged for an outside jibe, we did just that. It took 3 tries but we finally made the perfect outside jibe. When it was time to finally strike the spinnaker and head upwind, I wasn't aware that the new lazy sheet had gone under the boat. I was able to retrieve it with the boat hook. But dangit it was stuck under the centerboard. No matter how hard I pulled that sheet would NOT come up or anything. Finally I decided to retrace the route it took and hopefully unwrap it from the centerboard. Yep, it worked. I pulled the sheet all the way forward and retraced the exact route it took during the jibe. And dangit! It STILL wouldn't come up. Turns out the stopper knot had done its job well. That sucker held fast in the turning block. And it was clearly tied properly because untying it was just as easy as tying it.

As y'all probably know by now, one of the two reasons I had my spinnaker built (the 2nd reason has nothing to do with speed) was for the challenge of learning to use it. Check.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Glad that worked out!

When we were racing we never tied stopper knots in the spin sheet or guy. If we ever needed to get rid of the spinnaker, the last thing we wanted was a sheet stuck in a cleat or block, we just wanted it to fly free so we wouldn't put the mast in the water.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
When we were racing we never tied stopper knots in the spin sheet or guy. If we ever needed to get rid of the spinnaker, the last thing we wanted was a sheet stuck in a cleat or block, we just wanted it to fly free so we wouldn't put the mast in the water.
I guess the learning keeps on coming.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I took my brother sailing last week.

As y'all probably know by now, one of the two reasons I had my spinnaker built (the 2nd reason has nothing to do with speed) was for the challenge of learning to use it. Check.
Thread about spin flying, good reference material for your leisure reading

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...ker-inside-or-outside-gybe-preference.193820/

@Jackdaw provided an excellent tip (or several actually) on using a gybeulator (sp) and/or a bowsprit “wand” to keep the lazy sheets out from under.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Kermit, rig yourself for an inside jibe. That way the lazy sheet can stay INSIDE the boat. I have raced on both types. With an inside jibe though,
1) head down
2) ease the old sheet JUST ahead of the forestay. THIS is the key for inside jibes. It also helps if the sheets are connected via a bridle.
3) bring in the new sheet, still paying out the old sheet (new lazy). tadaaaa!

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Glad that worked out!

Absolutely!!

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Glad that worked out!

This, exactly!

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I took my brother sailing last week. I've owned my boat for 6 years and he had never seen it. We were able to find a good area without whitecaps and I was itching to fly my spinnaker for him. Rigged for an outside jibe, we did just that. It took 3 tries but we finally made the perfect outside jibe. When it was time to finally strike the spinnaker and head upwind, I wasn't aware that the new lazy sheet had gone under the boat. I was able to retrieve it with the boat hook. But dangit it was stuck under the centerboard. No matter how hard I pulled that sheet would NOT come up or anything. Finally I decided to retrace the route it took and hopefully unwrap it from the centerboard. Yep, it worked. I pulled the sheet all the way forward and retraced the exact route it took during the jibe. And dangit! It STILL wouldn't come up. Turns out the stopper knot had done its job well. That sucker held fast in the turning block. And it was clearly tied properly because untying it was just as easy as tying it.

Well, at least it wasn't raised sideways! Been there, done that! Awfully embarrassing for the guy that rigged it. As skipper, my job is to stay out of the rigging! Cleaner that way! :cowbell:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Well, at least it wasn't raised sideways! Been there, done that! Awfully embarrassing for the guy that rigged it. As skipper, my job is to stay out of the rigging! Cleaner that way! :cowbell:
And he didn't hour glass it!

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Is sideways worse than upside down? *blush*

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
I’ve flown it set up for inside jibes and outside jibes. I rarely fly it anyway but this is the first time I’ve experienced keel wrap. Interestingly enough, the first two jibe attempts the clew tried to go inside. I’ll set it up for inside the next time I fly it and report back.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
It's a triangle, it is either right side up or sideways. Hope there were no photos of the errant spinnaker.
Ok, tack up and head down. Call it what you like.
Confucius say, aviator who fly upside down bound to have crack up!