Keel Winch

Sep 28, 2019
Catalina 22 Hampton
So I bought my sailboat about 3 weeks ago and i noticed that the keel winch turns clockwise but not counter clockwise. Is this because there isn't any weight on the winch to release the brake? It looks like I have the original winch with the smaller roller. Also what does the boom rest on when you attach it to the mast? I have the sliding clip for my cabin roof but I don't see anything else that the boom could rest on.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Which Catalina do you have, 22?
I'm not a Catalina owner and I would guess there is a locking cam for the keel winch that you have to release to get the keel to drop.
As for the boom support, the backstay may have a pigtail clip to support the end of the boom when the sail is lowered, or you should install a topping lift. A rigid boom vang could also do it.

Welcome to SBO Daddy Blackbeard. It is good to welcome you aboard and have you join our amazingly knowledgeable and agreeable crew. You have proved yourself worthy simply by having the intelligence and perspicacity to choose SBO. There is no end to the helpful knowledge these guys have. Someone who knows your boat will be along.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
If its is a standard cat 22 or 25 the winch is self braking, one direction to raise the other to lower and it stops when you turn back a little bit. Booms are supported by a topping lift from the masthead, or a pigtail with a clip from the backstay. I you had a rigid boom vang you would have noticed it.

Sep 28, 2019
Catalina 22 Hampton
Sorry, yes it’s a Cat 22.
As for the boom I do have a pigtail that if off the back stay. I also have another cable along with the backstay that I don’t understand what it’s for. There is a boom bang but it is just rope and blocks. I noticed on some videos that people have a set screw where the front of the boom rear on while they hook up the pigtail to support the aft of the boom. What are people using for the setscrew?
As for the winch I can turn it clockwise but not counter clockwise. The locking bolt is loose so I’m thinking that the winch needs to be replaced then.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Might want to post on the cat 11 forum section and give us some pics of the winch and extra cable you are talking about.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I noticed on some videos that people have a set screw where the front of the boom rear on while they hook up the pigtail to support the aft of the boom.
I don't know what the set screw is all about. The pigtail works by attaching it to the boom as you drop the main. It can get a little awkward and frustrating if you can't bring her head up into the wind. Being able to use the anchor is a big help. Let her swing around into the wind, loosen the sheet, connect the pigtail, drop the main and the boom stays up for flaking. If this isn't a good idea because the wind is too strong and squirrelly, drop the main, then pickup the boom and attach it to the pigtail. That way, you hold the boom at a good height for flaking the main. Not my favorite way to hold the boom up, but it works ok.

I also have another cable along with the backstay that I don’t understand what it’s for.
Please post a picture. Where does it come from on the mast, top, couple of feet down, below the spreaders?
Does it move like it's on a pulley or is it fixed and tight?
Is it all cable or is there a rope spliced on?
It could be a halyard or a topping lift, a lazy jack, or even another stay, those last two suggestions are a bit of a reach.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 28, 2019
Catalina 22 Hampton
Is it all cable or is there a rope spliced on?
It could be a halyard or a topping lift, a lazy jack, or even another stay, those last two suggestions are a bit of a reach.
It’s s a cable. It looks like the forestay but it’s on the back top of the mast. It come down and ends close to where the pigtail off the backstay hangs.