Keel Winch operation in Sirius 21

Aug 23, 2020
Sirius 21 Comox
We recently purchased a Sirius 21 and are trying our best to get her cleaned up and ready for sailing before the season is over. Lots left to do. Can anyone provide information on how to operate the keel winch? There does not seem to be any sort of lock or release mechanism.
Thanks for your input!

Aug 23, 2020
Sirius 21 Comox
It is pretty rusty and wondering if the portion at the front is some sort of release? Thinking we may need to replace this.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I'm going to guess that this is your release

1598274993050.png

She does look little rusty but if you have a compressor, you can get a cheap sand blaster at Harbor Freight and clean that right up and make it look new again.

Or you can put a wire brush on a drill and knock off most of that rust.

Then put some rustoleum cold galvanizing spray paint on it and you will get another 10 years out of it before you have to clean it up again.

Jan 19, 2010
The first time you use it... make sure you have your and on the handle before you push the button. This unit may have a break inside that box that covers the gear compartment but if it does not, then the handle will spin in free fall and could easily break a finger or two.

Until you know for sure how it works, I'd be cautious the first few times I used it.:yikes:

Aug 23, 2020
Sirius 21 Comox
Great advice! I have seen this happen before!
So do you feel that the 'bolt out the front needs to be pushed in to release the brake?

Jan 19, 2010
Great advice! I have seen this happen before!
So do you feel that the 'bolt out the front needs to be pushed in to release the brake?
That would be my best guess. You could try pushing it in and then see if you can turn the drum by hand with the pin pushed in. If so, that would tell you what you need to know. You may find that you have some resistance and have to use the handle to turn the drum. That would imply you have a break mechanism (good).

Aug 23, 2020
Sirius 21 Comox
At work today but will try some WD40 or other lubricant to see if we can get some movement to free it up. I am anticipating having to replace the winch mechanism because of the amount of rust. Not looking forward to this and have no idea what is involved. Any advice would be truly appreciated!

May 14, 2009
Sirius 21 Pelican Yacht Club, Manitoba
This is your typical Sirius keel winch. They do not lock or ratchet like a boat winch. Keel winch has a clutch that allows you to raise or lower under control stopping where you like. It won't fall if you let go of the handle. Facing aft counter-clockwise to lower and clockwise to raise.
Daryl
Sirius 21 owner since 2009.