Keel winch failure... and repair...

Aug 1, 2019
hunter 22 Colorado
The data is printed on every friggin' tire! The guy who did this inflates friggin' tires for a living! How do you F that up? How??
Actually Gene, the inflation pressure data are not usually printed on the tire. The specs on the tire refer to maximums. The proper running tire pressure is normally printed on a sticker on the inside of your driver door. It is usually, lower than the the maximum printed on the tire. In your case the difference might be 18lbs. o_O

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
It's possible that could be a rationale - but I'd respectfully offer there could be an obvious and simple elective check-box on a form, or at least a verbal consent, before changing the tire pressures. It would be a simple matter to confirm, and avoid misunderstandings.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Actually Gene, the inflation pressure data are not usually printed on the tire. The specs on the tire refer to maximums. The proper running tire pressure is normally printed on a sticker on the inside of your driver door. It is usually, lower than the the maximum printed on the tire. In your case the difference might be 18lbs. o_O
Nope, guess again.

May 4, 2019
Catalina 22 Fairfield Harbour
I’m glad I could set the stage for some serious rants. I am learning as I go and me and my sailboat are better for it.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Rick....now you know the drill here! Lotsa help and lotsa laffs...You'll find Gene is one of the best at both!
Stick around, neighbor!!!

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021
Catalina 22 22 mkII Sebastian
thanks OP I just recently went to our boat and realized the keel cable had broken and tried to use a glow rod to bring the cable back down through the boat and fought for an hour then gave up. now I know about the ball.