Keel winch drum size a real issue?

Aug 18, 2016
Catalina 30 mkII 5917 Muskegon, MI
So from other previous posting, you may know that I am replacing the keel cable, brass pivot ball, and keel tunnel hose....excited to get the new parts installed and maybe sailing this weekend...my new question is do I need to upgrade to the large keel winch drum from CD to avoid problems with the new cable getting crimped from wrapping around the original 1" size Drum?

I can see a difference in size from new and what Chip Ford did to his vs my original (shown with new cable and tape measure in pic). Appreciate know how many of you made the change or still using the original 1" winch drum?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I doubt it matters, but certainly won't hurt to put a new winch on, you'll never to have to mess with it again....and not have to rely on a 40 yr old winch....just my opinion, and as Gene sez, just a few more "boat bucks"!

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Concur, it should not make a difference; the length of the winch handle will determine the force required to turn the drum.

Aug 18, 2016
Thanks guys....I was more thinking about the wear or not on the new cable from being wrapped around a 1" drum vs something larger....winding the new stainless steel around the drum seem to be putting a lot of tight bending if I'm describing it correctly. Guess I can give it a try and then expect after a few raising/lowerings of the keel to see if any flat spots or broken cable threads

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I'd think the keel cable would eventually stretch its weaving, to account for the smaller drum. I wouldn't be too worried about it. When you lower the keel, do you know how much cable is left on the drum - maybe the working diameter of the spool is larger than it appears?

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
A larger drum means less stacking of the cable, which seems to be where much of the cable abrasion comes from. I always hated that sound when the cable dropped off the stack wile raising the keel.

Aug 18, 2016
Thanks for the insight. I decided to put things back together. All solid and new but I will check it after a few up and downs. Don't mind putting a couple $hundred into a new winch from CD....just really want to go sailing tomorrow. 90 degrees here in Michigan. Btw new hose with TWO clamps from CD...my old set up was just one

Aug 18, 2016
Should I lightly marine grease the large red gear? It's totally dry to the touch

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Keep in mind that anything that touches that gear will come away with grease on it. sails, cloths, etc. I'd keep it dry, or at least use a "dry" lube like motorcycle chain lube.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Concur, it should not make a difference; the length of the winch handle will determine the force required to turn the drum.
Disagree with above comment. The drum radius will definitely affect the force required, torque, on the winch handle. You are effectively moving to a higher gear which means it will raise faster but input effort at the handle will be more.

There is only so much space to swing a handle inside the boat too...