Keel Trunk Removal 2006 Catalina 22 Sport

Feb 12, 2022
Catalina 22 Sport lake lanier
Hello All,

I have a 2006 Catalina 22 Sport. I had a man come look at it because he was interested in buying it. Although he said the boat was in great shape, his concern was that the keel trunk would leak. I assured him it never has. Having said that, he saw a hairline crack and said that the keel had slammed into the trunk and would probably leak. So, he passed on the boat. Be that as it may, my question to all of you who have, or have had Catalina 22 Sports. Have you ever had a leak coming from the keel trunk? I can promise you that all the time it was in the water, I never saw any water come through the hairline crack. I will admit there is a section of the cabin sole (Pics Below) where someone at some point thought it was a good idea to cut a section out that is about 4"x7" rectangle that is right next to the keel trunk at the aft end. This was also a major concern of his. However, when I bought the boat a while back I knew that the cutout was only through the cabin sole, so I wasn't ever concerned about it leaking and it never has. From what I can tell, and this is pure conjecture on my part, but perhaps whoever made the cutout thought they needed to in order to get the pivot pin of the keel. Of course, I could be way off base there. I have inspected the bolts and hanger castings and seem to be secured very well. Having said that, there is some slop or play, if you will, when I grab a hold of the keel and try to move it from port to starboard. I would expect there should be some play, but I honestly don't know how much it should be.

Here's the thing. I would never want to turn over a boat to someone where a major catastrophe could take place. The issues that were referred by the man are repairable of course and I'm very capable of performing such tasks. At the same time, I have to ask myself if it's worth all the work. One thing is for sure. The removal of the keel trunk appears to be as simple as loosening the keel lock-down bolt and then removing screws from the flange of the trunk itself where it is fastened to, what appears to be the cabin sole. But, I'm not sure about that since I've never removed the keel trunk before. Regardless of the hairline crack though, removing the keel trunk would allow for a very close inspection of the keel that one never sees. I don't know if this is for sure either, but perhaps I'd be able to get a good look at the keel pin as well.

Sorry about the long rant. But, I felt it was better to be as detailed as I could with these possible issues. I will also say this, I could never in good conscience turn over a boat with these possible issues. So, I'll do whatever takes to make sure this sailboat is in every degree of seaworthiness. It is my hope that some of you guys who are experienced in this particular area will offer advice, and of course, any comments are welcome as well.

Thanks for listening,

Robert

Keel Lock Bolt Pic 1.jpg
Keel Trunk Cabin Sole Patch Pic 1.jpg
Keel Trunk Cabin Sole Patch Pic 2.jpg
Keel Trunk Pic 1.jpg
Keel Trunk Pic 2.jpg
Keel Trunk Pic 3.jpg
Keel Trunk Pic 4.jpg

Feb 12, 2022
Well, turns out I was way off base about the "Keel Trunk". The original pics are a "Keel Trunk Cover" or liner if you prefer. (New pics below) I honestly don't know what it's called. Anyway, after removing the cover with the actual Keel Trunk exposed, I found absolutely nothing wrong. Nothing that would lead me to believe there is an issue anywhere on the keel trunk. So, really no concerns at all with the keel trunk itself. I also verified the Keel Lock Down Bolt is working perfectly, that is if you're into that kind of thing. ;)

However, that still leaves a question in my mind. How much play is acceptable at the location of the keel pin and castings? It does appear that the keel pin and castings may have been replaced. but, without actually removing the castings I won't know for sure. I can tell you that the play is about 1" - 1-1/2" from side to side at the leading edge of the keel. There is barely any play at all at the actual location of the keel pin and castings. If it helps, there are 2 washers between the keel and castings on each side of the keel. Doesn't seem like an excessive amount of play to me. But, I'm no expert. So, I would appreciate anyone else's input on this.

How much play is considered normal, before one should replace the keel pin and castings?

Keel Trunk Pic 1.jpg
Keel Trunk Pic 2.jpg

Feb 12, 2022
Okay, got a little more info for ya. Of course, so far, I'm just replying to myself. Maybe this little tid bit of info will spark your interest.

So, I had an idea to get a 4"x4" as a lever, and a 6"x6" block as a fulcrum. I positioned the end of the 4"x4"x8' directly underneath the leading edge of the keel and was vertically lined up with the keel pin and casting location on the hull. I applied a fair amount of pressure to the end of the lever. There was absolutely no play at all with the keel. In fact, the only thing that moved was the sailboat itself coming up slightly as if it wanted to come off the trailer. The keel itself did not move one bit up or down when pressure was applied and released. I think that tells at least some of the story here. If the pin were worn to any degree, that test should have shown some kind of play. Once again, I believe it's possible that the keel pin has already been replaced.

Still, that leaves the question that I've already stated in my 2nd post. Look forward to any response from any of you. No, really! I'm really looking forward to ANY response!

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Right. I appreciate you documenting your discoveries. While I don't really have anything to add, I did read it and found it interesting.

Mar 30, 2014
Catalina 22 Indiana
This blurb from Catalina Direct seems to partially address your question(s)... Keel Centering Spacer Kit. It might be worth your while to call Catalina Yachts and ask them.

FWIW I like the idea of the trailer test you performed. However, the real issue is how much play you get when the keel is fully extended. The keel on my new design '86 C22 came with shims on it... up towards the top edge... and as described in the Catalina Direct link, set into the trunk when extended. Does your 22 have shims on it? A Google search (of images or videos) will show what to look for.

That said, your 22 is 20 years younger than mine... and unless its hit something or has lived a long time in the water (especially in salt water) I doubt your keel bolts are at risk of causing the catastrophe you fear. I've replaced the keel winch and cable (and related hardware) when my winch needed to be replaced a few years back... but my keel pin and hangers are original... and continue to show no signs of being at risk of failure. Mine lives primarily on the trailer and has played only on midwest lakes so YMMV.

Cheers!

Dave.