Keel spacer replacement

Feb 12, 2021
Catalina 30 30 ft Solomons
Hello folks ,, can I replace the plywood spacer around the keel bolts in the hull/belge while the boat is still in the water .. not sure why someone used plywood for this , but it needs replaced any suggestions would be appreciated

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Welcome to the site @Little song.

I take it you're looking at the washer plates UNDER the nuts for the keel bolts, something like this:

100_3641.jpg

It does make you wonder just what the hell someone was thinking, or smoking at the time they decided to use plywood for this application.

As far as doing this "in the water" .................... I suppose it could be done, but I think you're taking a big chance that something may decide to let go with the additional weight. Also, it's recommended that keel bolt torque be applied with the full weight of the boat sitting on the keel as you would find on the hard.

These are keel bolt values supplied by Hunter Marlow which would be applicable to your bolts if they are SS. These are the usual maximum allowable torques for bolt sizes.

1613168942250.png

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Little song

not recommended for a few reasons. and It’s highly impractical doing it that way.

there’s owners who have extensive info and experience fixing the wood in the keel buss oops that Catalina did.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
fixing the wood in the keel buss

Sorry, I just couldn't control my curiosity here. Just WHAT is a keel buss ?

An electrical buss (or bus), yes. This intrigues me as it isn't recognized anywhere in any dictionary. I can't even see how the two words can be used together. Is it something peculiar only to Catalina ?