Keel separating?

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Not a big deal to seal it.

SealedKeel.jpeg

Not 5200, but special filler then Epoxy coat barrier.
Jim...

• Helpful
Apr 4, 2022
Hunter 34 Montreal
yes easy to seal but is it durable and can it hide a structural problem it does not seem normal to me that it opens like that

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
My keel did the same thing several years ago. I had the keel bolts torqued with the boat sitting on the keel . Then sanded/ground/faired.. The problem has not returned.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Ideally, you would drop the keel, inspect the bolts and re-bed - a lot of work. It doesn't look too bad though and you can probably just dig out the crack, re-fill and re-torque as has been already said. However, in the second picture, it looks like the crack has extended into the hull - you will want to fully investigate that and make sure it is solid when you're done.

Nov 6, 2006
That crack into the hull area is an "ear" in the top of the keel.casting. It spreads the keel loads out much better than a conventional keel stub.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Are you getting water coming into the bilge area is a key question. Manufacturers sealed the keel to the hull with 5200. Never use two part epoxy in the sealed area as it would be heck removing the keel.

What year is your boat would be helpful to know if your keel is either cast iron or lead. A magnet would tell if you do not know

Former Hunter dealer

• Helpful
Nov 6, 2006
I agree with Dave, if you aren't having water leaks around the keel bolts, ya don't have a big problem but I would definitely torque/tighten the bolts . then fill/fair/seal the crack. The keel is cast iron.

Dec 10, 2003
Hunter 30_88-94 Edmonds, WA
Very typical of Hunters with iron keels. Hunter advised me 20 years ago to open the crack with a Dremel, fill it with 5200, and glass over it with a couple of layers of cloth. I did. Also tried re- torquing the keel bolts, but could never get them to move, even with my 3 foot torque wrench. Crack hasn't opened again in 15 years. Sometimes have a little smile when hauling out and just regrind, fill and paint.