Keel Repair On Oday322

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bobby Dickerson

Need information on keel repair. I have a 2" round hole in the starboard wing of the keel. Need to know how to contact maker of the keel. And get specifics on repair. Seem there is some kind of material that helps form the shape of the keel and unsure of how to repair.

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Keel

Bobby - First - O'day is gone, but you could talk to Rudy Nickerson at (508)644-3001. He was a former O'day employee and knows tons about the construction of the boats, as well as having many parts. Your keel should be cast lead with an epoxy covering to make it more fair. When you say you have a hole do you mean in the covering or all the way through? I assume you mean the former. If so you'll want to check the integrity of the rest of the covering, but if its sound repair is simple. Clean it up, fill it with epoxy fairing compound, let it cure and sand it fair. Renew the bottom paint and go sailing. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

J

John Devan

322 keel repairs

Had my keel repaired and made stronger than manufactured by professionals at Bayport Marine in Midland Ontario Canada. They added fiberglass cloth and material in the bilge and extending outward. They made small openings behind the seats in the main cabin and strengthened the hull on both sides where the spreader stays are anchored. They sheathed the sheel keel in fiberglass whre hull and keel are fastened. The keel hull joint is incredibly strong now - way better than when the boat was manufactured. The Cost was about $5,000 CDN. I recommnd highly this complete process to cure the these hull and keel problems in an otherwise great sailing yacht.

Status
Not open for further replies.