Keel lock pin bent

Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
My Mary and I finally got around to digging out the old keel lock bolt (pin) from the trunk. (Not the pivot bolt). In our 1982 Mac 22. It apparently was in while the keel was up. It had no washers installed. When the keel either fell or was lowered it hit it it bent it and sucked it into the trunk before we bought the boat long ago. It was just jammed in there. You could lower the keel but there was no way to put in another safety locking bolt because the old bolt kept the keel from going far enough to allow a replacement bolt through. So we pulled the keel while in the trailer and I used a tool I made to leverage the bolt around back into the original hole, twisted it the let it drop out.

The rubber bumper is long gone, does anyone know the dimensions of the rubber keel bumper so I can fabricate a new one? I called BWY and asked to buy one, but got a deer in the headlight response as they did not know there was a rubber bumper in there.

See photo of bent keel lock down pin.

image-2507698114.jpg

Dec 28, 2009
Macgregor M25 trailer
On my M25, I just took a piece of the tread from an old truck tire, that I got from the local tire dealer.

Cut it about 6 inches long and medium wedge fit for the width. Slopped a big glop of PL construction adheasive in the channel where the bumper should be then shoved the piece of tread into place, used a piece of 2x4 and a hamer to drive it into position.

That was two years ago and it hasn't fallen out yet. When I was trying to cut the piece of tread, first tried a utility knife and got nowhere fast, used a course blade in my jig saw that worked like a charm, just stunk a little.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
From what you describe it sounds like the bolt was put in before the keel was lowered then then lowered or dropped. What do the holes look like where they were sucked through? Do you need to repair and redrilled. If you so this was done on my Mac 25. The hole was recessed to accommodate the large washer and rubber washer to help distribute the sheer stress on the trunk and prevent if from cutting through during a grounding.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
when i got m 21, it had the keel lock down bolt hole severely damaged, and i made a successful repair with epoxy putty.

it was done without a bunch of fuss or mess, almost no prep work and was a watertight repair.

i removed the keel and cut a piece of wood that fit snugly in the keel trunk between the damaged holes....

then i removed the wood, sanded it a bit and tacked plastic (from a 2gallon ice cream container) to each side of the block... this will keep the epoxy from sticking to it.

i drove it up in there so it was snug and would not fall out.
(the wood was a 2x4 built up so it was thick enough to fill the gap. I left it long enough so I could position it and pull it out when i was finished)

i then cut a cardboard template that fit to index marks i made. then marked on the template where the original hole needs to be drilled. both sides..... and saved for after i was finished with the epoxy

then i put a heater on the side that i was going to do first.... in my opinion it should be slightly warm to do this
then i mixed up some slow cure epoxy putty, and it was slightly above room temperture..

i placed a ball of it in the recess of the damaged hole, against the plastic backer/block and worked it into the recess.... i added more and more.... all in one layup until it was over filled....

then i used a short 1" dowel and a 1/2" dowel with a hammer and hammered the putty around the edge of the hole, trying to force it into any voids/pockets that i couldnt see and needed to be filled...
i had to add more putty but it finally stopped taking any more....
i smoothed it out and set up to do the other side...

after both sides were finished and cured enough, I removed the backing block, faired any high spots inside with the grinder, then lined up the templates with the index marks and drilled new holes.

after painting, you could never tell the holes were previously damaged from inside or out...

I grounded the boat a few times myself afterwards and never had an issue.

a couple things to remember is, even the slow cure epoxy will set faster when working in a warm environment, but the slower the cure formulation, the stronger the finished product is. once you mix the slow set putty, you have about a maximum of 20 minutes of good pliable work time, but this is plenty if you have your tools ready to hand when you need them.
there may be other putties that have a longer work time, and a LOT of brands that have less "open" time... but get a slow setting type and you will be fine.

Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
Centerline- wonderful detailed post. You have given me much to think about.

CAGUY- Sorry, had to work today, brain not quite in gear, can you explain the abbreviation PO?